Please Help! Driving Like S**T!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i'm having problems w/ my '88 62. the engine vibrates and shakes while driving at higher speeds. it pings and knocks when idling. i got shocked by something near my dizzy. the front end feels loose (but everything seems to be ok ie. the TRE's etc.). I've replaced the rotors, pads, and master cylinder and still the brake pedal needs to be depressed pretty far. I'm not a mechanic, i do what i can (it isn't much) and i'm extremely frustrated as this is my DD. Please help! I'm F***in' lost!

thanks

have you done anything with the rear brakes?

i replaced the pads and hardware (springs etc.) during the summer. after i replaced the master, i adjusted the star wheel and it was stiff for a bit but not anymore.

sock issue....have you replaced your plug wires?

is it the engine vibrating ....or....a vibration thru the steering wheel

when i bought the truck, the previous owner, who's a friend, said that he replaced them. that was 2 years ago. and the vibration is not felt at the wheel. the whole truck shakes at high speeds around seventy or 2800-3000rpm

Definitely suspect ignition problem (cord set,timing,???) which would also make engine shake/vibrate as explained. Problem with brakes is that push rod in booster may have needed to be readjusted with new master cylinder install and/or master cylinder was not blead-out properly???

Definitely suspect ignition problem (cord set,timing,???) which would also make engine shake/vibrate as explained. Problem with brakes is that push rod in booster may have needed to be readjusted with new master cylinder install and/or master cylinder was not blead-out properly???

by cord set do you mean spark plug wires?

i bled them the way the manual said and had a friend who's a wrencher help. if its the push rod how do i adjust it?

I'm not too big on the fj62's...are the rear brakes self adjusting?

my old fj40 brakes were not...i DD it...i needed to adjust about every 3-4 months

i don't think so....i hope not anyhow. i'm not sure honestly

well, all the brake work was done not even 3 months ago. and they were adjusted at the time. what would cause tehm to loosen like that?
Use, wear, and tear. And, whether or not they were adjusted correctly in the first place. Look pedal height is strictly a function of rear brake lining thickness and adjustment. If your pedal goes, low, adjust the brakes. 62 (and 60) series are hard on brakes. Heavy truck, relatively small brake area.

the vibration is not felt at the wheel. the whole truck shakes at high speeds around seventy or 2800-3000rpm

Does the engine shake if your run it at 2800-3000rpm in the driveway?

If not, could be a balance weight came off a rear tire?

You are going to have some frustration learning to be a mechanic and trying to have a 21 year old rig as your daily driver. You will need some mentoring/training/help if you are going to do it yourself.

when i bought the truck, the previous owner, who's a friend, said that he replaced them. that was 2 years ago. and the vibration is not felt at the wheel. the whole truck shakes at high speeds around seventy or 2800-3000rpm

I'm in the same boat with a 62 I bought in the fall- DD and self-mechanic. I feel your pain!

Mine had a high speed vibration that turned out to be caused by transfer case fluid slowly dripping down on the driveshaft and attracting dirt. The combo of thickened fluid and grimy gunk threw it out of balance. But it was more of a high speed vibration than a shaking, wheel out of balance feel.

Does the vibration go away when you let off the pedal at 70mph? Is it more a function of speed or engine RPM?

As far as engine stuff, mine idled like crap (even after I replaced the stolen cat convertor!). And it may sound stupid, but one day I just let it idle for 30 minutes while I stared at it, walking around the compartment watching and listening. I looked for anything out of place. Popped any connector, that I could easily, apart and hit it with electronic cleaner or WD40 (with the engine off if it's flammable). After 10-15 minutes of listening from different angles, I could hear a hiss from the intake manifold. A new gasket for the offending fitting, and it ran like new! So take heart; these are great trucks and are worth the initial frustration/effort.

X2 on SLCFJ62's mentoring comment. Pick the brain of anybody you know who has decent mechanical knowledge. Even if they don't know, sometimes it helps you figure it out when you chat with someone else about it. And search the crap outta this site! Good luck :steer:

Get a repair,Toyota manual,they are great. Use a paper clip in your passenger side elec. trouble shooting connection, 2 cents. Mike

Does the engine shake if your run it at 2800-3000rpm in the driveway?

If not, could be a balance weight came off a rear tire?

You are going to have some frustration learning to be a mechanic and trying to have a 21 year old rig as your daily driver. You will need some mentoring/training/help if you are going to do it yourself.

i' haven't tried to rev it up like that in park. i WILL though. i feel the truck vibrate but it feels like front but i don't feel it in the steering wheel.

I'm in the same boat with a 62 I bought in the fall- DD and self-mechanic. I feel your pain!

Mine had a high speed vibration that turned out to be caused by transfer case fluid slowly dripping down on the driveshaft and attracting dirt. The combo of thickened fluid and grimy gunk threw it out of balance. But it was more of a high speed vibration than a shaking, wheel out of balance feel.

Does the vibration go away when you let off the pedal at 70mph? Is it more a function of speed or engine RPM?

As far as engine stuff, mine idled like **** (even after I replaced the stolen cat convertor!). And it may sound stupid, but one day I just let it idle for 30 minutes while I stared at it, walking around the compartment watching and listening. I looked for anything out of place. Popped any connector, that I could easily, apart and hit it with electronic cleaner or WD40 (with the engine off if it's flammable). After 10-15 minutes of listening from different angles, I could hear a hiss from the intake manifold. A new gasket for the offending fitting, and it ran like new! So take heart; these are great trucks and are worth the initial frustration/effort.

X2 on SLCFJ62's mentoring comment. Pick the brain of anybody you know who has decent mechanical knowledge. Even if they don't know, sometimes it helps you figure it out when you chat with someone else about it. And search the **** outta this site! Good luck :steer:

thanks man. i have a buddy who's good with motors. i'll look at the intake manifold

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom