Please help, buying a 96 LC tomorrow.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

084runnerltd

SILVER Star
Threads
Long time reader, first time poster....

Anyway, I am buying a 96 LC tomorrow...more specifically paying the balance due tomorrow. I have been searching for a 96-97 with lockable diffs at a "reasonable price" and a "reasonable distance" away.

I found this one http://www.burnsvilleautosales.com/mobile/mImagesAll.aspx?cmb=0|168254964|368207 online about 8 hours from me. I got the carfax and spoke to the dealer a few times. Tomorrow my uncle is going to take a look at it in person as he lives a few minutes from the dealership.

He knows cars, what to look for etc....but wont know if there are swap out of factory to non-factory parts, after markets parts, or what is standard on the LC. He is looking at the big things for me....leaks, seeps, transmission slips, knocking etc...

So my question is....What is up with the center dash??? It looks like it is from an Audi or something...any advice??

Thanks in advance.

that photo had to have been inadvertently added to the photo upload...that dash is not from a Toyota, and other pictures show the stock dash is in the truck.

good luck with your purchase.

i think they just messed up the pics between cars, that center dash is not an lc one but in the other pics you can kinda see the dash from the side and looks normal.

Don't tell me you missed the "Audi Dash into My Built 80" thread?...
:p

Looks like the same truck...same paint...nah, I'm jeeest kiddin'!

thanks all...I panicked when I saw that pic and didnt even look at the other pictures.....You should all be detectives.

Anyway, if mehcanically sounds, any opinions on the truck as a whole?? Or better yet does anybody recognize it?? I have never bought a vehicle with 220k but more or less buying for ice fishing, mudding, trails etc...

Price, based on my research seems reasonable....?

Condition looks OK, no rust at the bottom of the doors, so looks good to me. The price sounds reasonable with the magic dial included; we paid a few hundred $$ more for ours in 2009 without lockers and about 60k fewer miles. You've got another 80,000 or so before it's officially 'old' around this place, but they still keep rolling even then with a little TLC, ya know.;)

I seriously doubt anyone would go to the trouble of swapping out the axles for non-lockers, but look for the locker harness; if it's plugged in, you're good; if dangling or MIA, there could be issues. Drive it in figure 8s on gravel and see what happens to test, but if it doesn't lock, don't sweat it. Many with lockers never had them engaged and they may need some freeing up is all.

Good luck and may the 'Cruiser gods be with you.

I haven't seen this truck in particular, but I have seen other 80's that this guy has had for sale. He seems to find fairly nice trucks at auction, and charges a pretty fair price. I'm not far from the dealership, so I have stopped and looked at other trucks he has had.

I have seen other trucks for less than he charges, but you could do worse. I would say the price is reasonable.

I think just about every 80 he has had for sale has also had lockers, so I'm guessing the lockers are working.

This one has been for sale for awhile, but I doubt there is anything really wrong with it.

Let us know if you end up with it!

Bumpers have been repainted. They did not originally come in black. This repaint may have been for purely aesthetic reasons (ie, color-matched bumpers look good), but be cautious when examining the body panels to look for signs of paint work or dent repair.

Bumpers have been repainted. They did not originally come in black. This repaint may have been for purely aesthetic reasons (ie, color-matched bumpers look good), but be cautious when examining the body panels to look for signs of paint work or dent repair.

Thanks, I ended up passing on it...still in the hunt

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

I haven't seen this truck in particular, but I have seen other 80's that this guy has had for sale. He seems to find fairly nice trucks at auction, and charges a pretty fair price. I'm not far from the dealership, so I have stopped and looked at other trucks he has had.

I have seen other trucks for less than he charges, but you could do worse. I would say the price is reasonable.

I think just about every 80 he has had for sale has also had lockers, so I'm guessing the lockers are working.

This one has been for sale for awhile, but I doubt there is anything really wrong with it.

Let us know if you end up with it!

Thanks...dealership was less then accommodating when I said I wanted to have it inspected before flying out there...took them a couple hours to call my back with mechanic in the area ....they said the toyota dealership waste far away....

I may settle for another 4 runner....so hard to know who you are buying from and there are No LC for sale anywhere locally...

I drove 20hrs this weekend to buy one in MT, ended up passing on it...

Keep looking... Ive been looking for a few months and others have looked for more than a year(!) before they found what they wanted. Patience pays off. I think we will see more 80s on the market within the next year as costly maintenance and gas prices seems to be the big reasons normal folks want to sell.

What color were the bumpers originally? My 1996 with the chrome wheels, handles and mirror fronts has black bumpers. My front looks like it may have been repainted, but it looks like it was black before (flat black maybe?). My back bumper is also black, just like the one in the ad.

one thing anybody can do quickly is to check for VIN stickers on the body panels, doors etc. Not there and there may have been some serious rebuilding going on.

Edit - now that you mention it, I searched the forum and there appears to be a strong correlation between chrome wheels and black bumpers. Any body know if this was port/dealer installed or done at the factory?

Last edited:
My wait has ended picking up this locked lx on Friday for 4500!! The owner is a lexus/toyota mechanic!!

image-3273873456.jpg

image-4033544793.jpg

image-1909046157.jpg

image-2439134859.jpg

image-3273873456.jpg

image-4033544793.jpg

image-1909046157.jpg

image-2439134859.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom