PLEASE HELP! 2000 LC dies while driving/no check engine **UPDATED 8/17/21** (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wendy2000LC

Takes a lickin’ and keeps on tickin’…
Threads
Website
www.badgirlscouture.com
Hi everyone. I have 2000 LC. I bought it new and have been the only owner. It has been amazing- almost 300,000 miles and I’ve only changed coils ,alternator a year ago and a few misc parts but still has original engine and transmission.
My goal is to keep it, but it has been dying on me a few times while driving-ugh....super dangerous. No sputtering, no noises at all- it will just die. I will pull over and it does start back up again. There’s no engine light on so all the shops I’ve contacted including the Dealer say they cannot help me without a code. Hmmmm...what to do? I don’t feel safe driving it of course but this is a great truck and it has no other problems. Also- if there is someone in Southern California who works on Toyota’s and doesn’t need a code please let me know!
I’ve driven it around town to try to get it to fail with the engine light coming on and nope! I’m at a complete loss of what’s going wrong and hoping some of you experts can shed some light on this problem.

PLEASE SEE PAGE 3 FOR MY LATEST UPDATES***

Last edited:
Any chance you have a loose battery terminal? Or other electrical connection that might intermittently disconnect? I had and one car with a loose connection at the alternator and one where I forgot to tighten the negative terminal, and both would shut down for no apparent reason when I hit a bump or just when the mood seemed right.

When you say it dies, are you just referring to the engine or all the electronics as well?

Any chance you have a loose battery terminal? Or other electrical connection that might intermittently disconnect? I had and one car with a loose connection at the alternator and one where I forgot to tighten the negative terminal, and both would shut down for no apparent reason when I hit a bump or just when the mood seemed right.
I did just replace a battery terminal. Forgot to mention- before this started happening i had to get a jump from AAA because truck wouldn’t start. I thought battery was dead but the technician confirmed battery was good and so was the new alternator I got a year ago. He said it looked like I needed a new terminal. Replaced that. Then the problems started. Could it really just be that terminal? That would cause it to stall in the middle of driving? I really hope that’s it!

I checked the terminal connection. It’s tight.

Thanks! I’ll look into that also.

At your mileage I would certainly suspect a failing Fuel Pump. Rarely will this 'throw a code' and often times the pump does not 'hard fail' but rather gives you warnings (intermittent failures).

If you have a quiet spot to listen, many times a failing (or straining) fuel pump will produce a light 'whining' sound when it is running (engine on). IF you can hear this (from the drivers side, rear area) then chances are good its a fuel pump issue.

At your mileage I would certainly suspect a failing Fuel Pump. Rarely will this 'throw a code' and often times the pump does not 'hard fail' but rather gives you warnings (intermittent failures).

If you have a quiet spot to listen, many times a failing (or straining) fuel pump will produce a light 'whining' sound when it is running (engine on). IF you can hear this (from the drivers side, rear area) then chances are good its a fuel pump issue.
Thanks a bunch for the info-good to know the failing fuel pump doesn’t typically throw a code. It’s been frustrating to say the least. 🤷🏼‍♀️

If the issue started after a known change, I know where I'd diagnose first and foremost.

You might also check fuel filter. If you haven't changed it, it's not a bad idea anyway. If it's pretty clogged it may run for a while and then starve the engine and stop. If you sit for a few minutes, it may will probably run again. I had a friend with an old Jeep Cherokee that had that problem.

You might also check fuel filter. If you haven't changed it, it's not a bad idea anyway. If it's pretty clogged it may run for a while and then starve the engine and stop. If you sit for a few minutes, it may will probably run again. I had a friend with an old Jeep Cherokee that had that problem.

Thank you 😊 I will have this changed. Hope it works.

Update: I sent it to a shop that assured me they could fix without the truck throwing a code. They told me it was a loose battery terminal. Maybe because I had told them I just changed one? LOL. Anyway, got it back and nope. Now it is also giving me trouble starting. I went to start and after idling about 5 seconds it died. Then tried to restart it and it wouldn’t turn over. Let it rest a bit and then it turned over and I drove it about 30 miles. It did not die during that trip. But as I said it’s intermittent. Sometimes I can drive days or weeks without it dying. And when the mood is right it will die.
Needless to say I’m sooooo frustrated. I read here about a lot of you diagnosing your rigs and fixing them after trial and error. But I don’t have that capability. I’m far from being mechanically inclined. I’m an Interior Designer. 🤣
With almost 300,000 miles I don’t know at this point if I’m being unrealistic and if it’s time to lay the rig to rest. I’m sad. I’ve had it for 21 years now and I have a pretty good love relationship with it. 💖😊. Maybe my emotional attachment is getting in the way too. I just don’t want to accept that it can’t be fixed, but with all the car shops and dealers telling me they can’t help me because it won’t throw a code I don’t know where to turn.
I can throw all these parts at it and pray one works it I can take that money and invest it in another car. I’ve been looking at the new 4 Runner because I don’t want to spend the money on a new LC. I need my money for retirement savings!!! 🤪
I am going to try to put a couple local ads for an old school mechanic who has the ability and more importantly the desire to put the time in ThAts needed to diagnose and fix my rig.
Again, if there’s anyone in the Southern California area please holler at me.

Update: I sent it to a shop that assured me they could fix without the truck throwing a code. They told me it was a loose battery terminal. Maybe because I had told them I just changed one? LOL. Anyway, got it back and nope. Now it is also giving me trouble starting. I went to start and after idling about 5 seconds it died. Then tried to restart it and it wouldn’t turn over. Let it rest a bit and then it turned over and I drove it about 30 miles. It did not die during that trip. But as I said it’s intermittent. Sometimes I can drive days or weeks without it dying. And when the mood is right it will die.
Needless to say I’m sooooo frustrated. I read here about a lot of you diagnosing your rigs and fixing them after trial and error. But I don’t have that capability. I’m far from being mechanically inclined. I’m an Interior Designer. 🤣
With almost 300,000 miles I don’t know at this point if I’m being unrealistic and if it’s time to lay the rig to rest. I’m sad. I’ve had it for 21 years now and I have a pretty good love relationship with it. 💖😊. Maybe my emotional attachment is getting in the way too. I just don’t want to accept that it can’t be fixed, but with all the car shops and dealers telling me they can’t help me because it won’t throw a code I don’t know where to turn.
I can throw all these parts at it and pray one works it I can take that money and invest it in another car. I’ve been looking at the new 4 Runner because I don’t want to spend the money on a new LC. I need my money for retirement savings!!! 🤪
I am going to try to put a couple local ads for an old school mechanic who has the ability and more importantly the desire to put the time in ThAts needed to diagnose and fix my rig.
Again, if there’s anyone in the Southern California area please holler at me.
Nooo, do not retire your rig! Just got one like these, and an old school mechanic told me you can literally fix anything on these rigs. Taken care of, they last for a million of miles. Ever tried to have Scotty Kilmer throw a guess?
All mechanics around here get watery eyes and mouths if they see such an old school Toyota Landcruiser. Don't get talked into loosing it/selling it underpriced just because you have not found (yet) a really skilled old school car mechanic! All the best!

Forget advertising for a local mechanic. You may end up accidentally hiring a contract killer.

Hit the Clubhouse section of the website, find your local section, and stick your nose in to introduce yourself. I can't help but think there are local Hundy or general LC/LX owners who would be glad to help.

Here is a link to a thread in the 60 Series forum that has recommended mechanics and shops. It is long, but search will help weed through the pages.

First.... anyone who can't fix a vehicle without having codes to go by is not a 'mechanic', they are a Parts Replacer.

Codes by themselves simply point you in a 'direction' and are NOT the end all for repairs.

No codes, intermittent dying of the engine... is not an easy one to diagnose, but there are some 'common' reasons for it.

Again, I would suggest you have the fuel system looked at (fuel pump) and the wiring and connections in that circuit.

IF that fails to correct your problem, then start looking at fuse junction boxes.

Last edited:
Nooo, do not retire your rig! Just got one like these, and an old school mechanic told me you can literally fix anything on these rigs. Taken care of, they last for a million of miles. Ever tried to have Scotty Kilmer throw a guess?
All mechanics around here get watery eyes and mouths if they see such an old school Toyota Landcruiser. Don't get talked into loosing it/selling it underpriced just because you have not found (yet) a really skilled old school car mechanic! All the best!
Thank you for the encouragement! I definitely want to keep it! I love my rig! Been with me for 21 years and has given me nothing but the best...peace of mind, safety, and reliability....something I never had in any previously owned car. I guess it’s just going to take a lot of fortitude and persistence to find someone who can help! I will look into the gentleman you referred. 😃 I truly appreciate your kind words and compassion-have a blessed day!

Forget advertising for a local mechanic. You may end up accidentally hiring a contract killer.

Hit the Clubhouse section of the website, find your local section, and stick your nose in to introduce yourself. I can't help but think there are local Hundy or general LC/LX owners who would be glad to help.
Thank you! For all the times I’ve come here I never noticed that section. 😝

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom