Please don't kick me off this site (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Location: Widgiemooltha salt lakes, West Australia (700km's East of Perth)

I was cruising over a salt flat at about 80km/h when it suddenly sank through the top layer, and into the really wet, sticky, salty, boggy mud. I got stuck with no winch, and I hate to admit that I was rescued by a non-Toyota. We did have a hand winch but not enough length to reach the nearest anchor over 40m away.

[edit]

I also never realised that my 60 had an open (rear) diff with a semi-floating axle set-up. Lesson learnt. Know your rig.

As a result of this forgettable event:

1) Front PTO winch purchased and fitting (Perth 4wd centre)
2) Rear PTO winch project in progress (2nd hand)
3) Throw away the (now blown) 3.7 rear SF axle housing and fit 4.11 FF housing (ex HJ61)
4) Lock-rite locker fitted to rear 4.11 diff (new from WA Diffs)
5) Front open 3.7 diff centre shelved and a 4.11 LSD centre fitted (ex HJ61)
1.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Last edited:
He pulled me out at an angle over 90 degrees relative to the drivers seat - it slipped right over the IH8MUD.
6.jpg
7.jpg

Last edited:
I'm a nub off-roader... what type of tire would do best in that terrain? Skinny/tall MTs, wide/tall MTs, ATs, etc?

I also don't have a clue what his means "I also never realised that my 60 had an open (rear) diff with a semi-floating axle set-up"... here I come google, spoonfeed me info! :)

You know that getting locker and winch just means you get stuck a lot farther in than before.:rolleyes:

Sounds like your getting serious about not having that happen again.

The same thing happened to me in Baja Mexico years ago in a Toyota pickup. I spent the entire night using a come-a-long, a stake, and a shovel to make it out. That was the last time I listened to my brother about short cuts beyond the dotted trail on the map across salt flats.

Make sure to wash and oil it good.

Salt lakes are magnets for 4wd's - doesn't matter if you are locked or not - once you get into the goo you are stuck... Pulling various mates' cruisers out with my nissan (with winch etc).

West of Menzies (W. Aust):

bog1.jpg

bog2.jpg

And yummy oz red dirt when wet (W. Aust, transline, north of Southern Cross):

nodifflocks.jpg

slicks.jpg

dragged.jpg

You only have to venture in a little too far to discover the goo hidden in salt lakes:

2wslide.jpg

I remember attempting to take a "short cut" across a small branch of Lake Disappointment years ago. Got about 10' in and started to slip. Spent 4 hours collecting branches/stuff and jacking up the nissan to build a 'road' to move 10' back. IH8SALTLAKES :)

cheers,
george.

The PTO is nice but be aware that the shear pin is a known weak point (it's meant to be that way, but sometimes it seems to let go really quick). Take spare pins with you.

I'm a nub off-roader... what type of tire would do best in that terrain? Skinny/tall MTs, wide/tall MTs, ATs, etc?

I also don't have a clue what his means "I also never realised that my 60 had an open (rear) diff with a semi-floating axle set-up"... here I come google, spoonfeed me info! :)

I'd think some mud boggers would be best in that stuff. Nice wide ones with not much air pressure.

An "open diff" means that each rear wheel can spin independently of the other. A limited slip differential allows some difference in wheel spin and a locked rear end means both wheels spin at the same speed regardless if one wheel loses traction.

"Semi-floating" simply means that there is a single wheel bearing out at the end of the axle housing and an other in near the third member whereas a full floater is like your front axle, an inner and outer wheel bearing at the wheel itself. The "semi-floater" vs. "full floater" doesn't affect how stuck you might get, only how much weight you could potentially carry.

Last edited:
We're not kicking you off of anywhere. You're out using your cruiser like it was meant to be......and hating mud while doing it! Nice pictures everyone.

I love the motorcycle stuck in the background - that is some funny s**t!!

You know that getting locker and winch just means you get stuck a lot farther in than before.:rolleyes:

2X and REKUT you forgot deeper much deeper too!!!

...How do you fit a rear PTO winch?

I found a PTO housing (PO said it was from an '83 cruiser) with front and rear output. My 60 has a 2" body lift, giving good room for PTO mount behind tow assembly, under the fuel tank (spare to go onto a carrier).

Aside from mounting the winch, I need to make a custom shaft and purchase pillow blocks / bearings to suit - not a big deal I think...still deciding on how to fab the rear bumper & tyre carrier assembly though. It does help that I work in a machine shop.

Pic 1 - PTO housing from '83 Troopie
Pic 2 - Plenty of room for winch mount / HJ60
Pic 3 - Existing PTO housing / HJ60
IMG_0058 mini.JPG
IMG_0071 forum.JPG
IMG_0067 forum size.JPG

Last edited:
The PTO is nice but be aware that the shear pin is a known weak point (it's meant to be that way, but sometimes it seems to let go really quick). Take spare pins with you.

Thanks for the tip. I haven't even started to look for them yet. Any ideas ?? Toyota OEM / Toyota parts online maybe ??

I have heard (and can see that) they are a real hassle to change on the fly. Also heard stories of people using roll-pins instead, with near-catastrophic results.

I normally learn things the hard way, but in this case, I like to think I can learn from other people's experiences.

Thanks again to the entire IH8MUD community !!

Last edited:
First of all, sweet 60.

Secondly, I want to see how you mount the rear PTO. It should be very interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom