Please critique my suspension lift plans (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK, rig has gotten heavy and I think I'm ready to commit to a real suspension--looking for the usual combo of holding up nicely w/ ride quality loaded and sometimes unloaded, but mainly loaded heavy for camping for 4-7 days, and trails along the way.

I currently have the OME 850/860 and it sags really badly when loaded (4x4Labs bumper w/ tire/bike/water/propane, drawers, fridge, sliders) and rides a bit rough when not loaded. Flexes surprisingly well on the trail though, I've been happy with that aspect.

After reviewing what seems like every single thread (the megathread, lots of build threads, etc) and also PM'ing several members I've arrived at the following tentative plan:

• TourFlex 3" springs $745 shipped -- specs look pretty close to Slinky 70mm HD in the megathread except for front coil free height, @TRAIL TAILOR has them in stock, no one who's bought them has anything bad to say
  • Slinky Icon Stage 1 Shocks ~$950 shipped
  • Slinky Rear Bumpstop $100
  • Landtank LCAs w/ bushings $450
  • Landtank Rear Sway Bar Extended Links $85
  • Landtank e-brake drop $30
  • Delta Arms w/ bushings $1130
  • Eim Keith PCK $120 (or maybe Delta but I'm currently liking excuses to weld)
  • @Hitit66 Front Swaybar Drop (already bought)

Eye watering total: $3490 :hmm:

Other options considered:
  • Dobinson's tapered at 2.5" and 3.5" options, yellow shocks, MRA shocks too. Seems like most people like the flex, some people don't like the on-road ride or the handling. Am still kinda considering doing the tapered front springs since those seem to get a lot of good reviews and then going with the 3" TourFlex HD rear spring instead of the taper--the rates on the Tourflex and the taper seem quite close to the Slinky HD.
  • Full Slinky--currently Mill Creek doesn't have stock on springs, or an ETA
  • Icon (non Slinky) shocks, specifically the 4-6" lift length ones w/ appropriate bumpstop extensions
  • Full Tour Flex / Tough Dog -- seems like the Slinky shocks have a better compressed length so I don't need front bumpstop extensions
  • Eim Keith radius arm drops instead of the Delta arms (not sure if the Delta arms correct for the "anti-dive" like dropping the arm does, also not sure if "anti-dive" is worth the slight loss of clearance since I'm staying in the 35" tire range for the next little while.)
  • Phasing it, doing everything but the LCAs and the Delta arms and then seeing how it drives (I currently have the OME caster bushings). May do this anyway to control cash outflow, this is a ton of money...
  • Phasing it by reusing my OME shocks (and their travel limitations) until I can afford the fancier 2.5 remote reservoir style (again, everyone who has these seems to love them)
Note I already have extended brake lines. And I'd really like fancy shocks but that would push me closer to $4500 which I don't have for this...I could maybe swing 2.5 remote reservoir shocks for the back only in this go around but not sure how much only one half of the rig having them actually gets me. Seems like a down the line kinda thing...

I appreciate you reaching the end of my small novel lol. :beer: Opinions wanted!

Have you considered air bags for your current set-up? The issues you describe would be aided by air bags. It's the $100 fix that would still be useful if you want to spend the big bucks down the road.

I wouldn't use a 2.0 shock for a heavy rig. Step up to the 2.5's.
My slinky icons 2.0 are leaking oil after 2 years and less than 20k miles.

My set-up is very similar to your first proposal and was my solution to a ‘slinky like’ set-up (i.e. maximising flex) without the cost. I matched 3” Tourflex HD springs with 4” Iron Man Foam Cell Pro shocks and radius arm drop brackets. Compared to the OME J/heavy and L shock set-up it replaced, it is genuine night and day difference. Shock damping is noticeably softer and more progressive, riding much more smoothly without sacrificing body control and the springs are much better at supporting the weight. Drop brackets put caster to exactly where it should be. I reckon your first proposal is a good one with the exception of suggesting you look at heavier duty shocks, be it 2.5s or some other larger bore offerings.

Thanks for the replies.
@greentruck I haven't looked into airbags, I'll certainly investigate although I think I'd really like to get into the dual-rate/variable-rate coil spring land if possible. Though if my wallet ultimately disagrees I think you're right, that's probably the best short term fix for the squat problem.

@secretasiansam Really disappointed to hear the Icons leaked on you so quickly--thanks for sharing.

@bug616 That's a great data point, happy to hear you wound up in a similar direction. What bumpstops did you go with for those Iron Man shocks?

Keep the experiences and opinions coming, this is super helpful.

In fine tuning when you have decided on a lift, I recommend the Delta rear panhard lift bracket get thrown in also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom