Please confirm a 1994 FJ80 Brake Master Cylinder and Brake Booster will fit on my 1973 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all, stayed up way too late sifting through all the brake info but can't find confirmation.

I have Willwood front discs and am going to add rear discs.
It looks like a non-ABS 1994 FJ80 Master Cylinder is the way to go, having the correct bore and RPVs for front and rear discs.

What I can't confirm is the FJ80 booster will bolt onto my 1973. It looks like a T100 or Tacoma duel diaphragm should fit, but I can't confirm the FJ80 will fit, and if it will need a spacer?

I'm sure someone knows, and can save me from maybe ordering the wrong part.

Thanks, B.

edit: also, if it helps anyone, I found this list of M/C and booster specs. Good info here, just doesn't help me with this question.

Anyone? Somebodys got to know...

I haven’t tried one but was told they do fit from a well known vendor. Any reason you don’t just buy a dual diafram booster from Roger at Cityracer ?

Drums

Disks

Booster

I haven’t tried one but was told they do fit from a well known vendor. Any reason you don’t just buy a dual diafram booster from Roger at Cityracer ?
That's what I used. Comes with a spacer, very easy install. Put the 80 series master on as well. Did this just last month. Very pleased with the improvement. But this is on a '74 FJ55, with 4 wheel discs.
20200417_152300.jpg

4runner, fzj80 and t100 boosters are all the same size.
They hit the rib on my ‘71 so I ended up going with a fj60 booster, which required less cutting.

in retrospect, I would have done the cityracer booster with the non-abs fzj80 master

Hi Casey, thanks. I'd like to shop around and maybe pick one up from a junkyard if at all possible.

Last edited:
Drums

Disks

Thanks A. That's good info. All I've read said non-ABS FJ80 M/C, that's the first time I saw the use of an ABS M/C recommended. I wonder what the difference is, it's a bit confusing.

That's what I used. Comes with a spacer, very easy install. Put the 80 series master on as well. Did this just last month. Very pleased with the improvement. But this is on a '74 FJ55, with 4 wheel discs.View attachment 2357992
Thanks a lot Pighead. I wish I knew what vehicle that booster normally goes in. Like I said I'd like to grab one from a junkyard. Seems like they last a long time, so a good candidate for pic-n-pull. Also, as mentioned above, it looks like cityracer recommends an ABS M/C for 4 wheel disc brakes, which adds to my confusion. Glad it works well, thanks for the info.

4runner, fzj80 and t100 boosters are all the same size.
They hit the rib on my ‘71 so I ended up going with a fj60 booster, which required less cutting.

in retrospect, I would have done the cityracer booster with the non-abs fzj80 master
Thank you Sir.
B.

I know a 92 4runner booster will bolt onto a 72. It just clears the angled firewall rib-just saying if you want options.
Thank you very much. That may come in handy. :cheers:

Thanks A. That's good info. All I've read said non-ABS FJ80 M/C, that's the first time I saw the use of an ABS M/C recommended. I wonder what the difference is, it's a bit confusing.
I'm at the same stage as you with my build and wasn't exactly sure either, but I figured if I posted it up, we'd get some details on specifics from the more experienced guys.

I'm at the same stage as you with my build and wasn't exactly sure either, but I figured if I posted it up, we'd get some details on specifics from the more experienced guys.
I found a little info about Toyota Supra ABS vs. Non-ABS. Not sure if it's relevant or not..

On 86-92 non-ABS and 87-90 with-ABS master cylinders, the front port is for the front brakes and the rear port is for the rear brakes.
On 91-92 with-ABS master cylinders, the front port is for the rear brakes and the rear port is for the front brakes. The front port (rear brakes) is also an "orifice-type" which "reduces idle stroke and improves brake pedal feel."

Also it looks like in some cases the ABS M/C has a larger bore. That would increase fluid volume, but also pedal effort.

I have a NON-ABS 80 M/C on my '76 booster in my '72 FJ40. How's that for mixing it up.

I have a NON-ABS 80 M/C on my '76 booster in my '72 FJ40. How's that for mixing it up.
Sounds good. Do have 2 discs, or 4 wheel discs? An FJ40 booster, and bolted straight in?

4 wheel disk, FZJ FF rear axle. Bolted right on. Just need to correctly adjust the push rod.

I'm also interested in this topic, going with FJ60 disk and drum conversion on my 40. I have a 60 booster but not sure if I want to relocate the rib or go unboosted with the above 80 series master......?

May not be issue on your 73' Brian but looks like I'll need an adapter from three bolts to four on my 69'.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom