Please allow me to introduce myself (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, I just joined the forum. I found ih8mud by searching the internet for answers to some questions I have. A week ago I bought a 1972 Fj40 from the husband of one of my wife’s friends. He works at a scrap yard and a man bought his Fj40 in to sale it for scrap, but her husband saved the title and bought it home as a project. Luckily for me his wife said he didn’t need another project and he had to sale it. So I paid him $4,500, loaded it on a trailer and dropped it off at my local garage. As I am an amateur mechanic at best I thought I should let the professionals handle it. It needs a lot of work. The motor sounds good but it doesn’t have a gas tank. I’m pretty sure it needs a new transmission as none of the gears seem to work and it has no breaks. The only seat it has is the drivers seat that is in very bad condition. My plans are to make it drivable enough to ride around town on the weekends and take it on some light trails for the time being and eventually slowly restore it piece by piece. In my opinion the Fj40 is the coolest vehicle ever made. I have wanted one for a long time but I have never had the opportunity to own one until now.

IMG_0944.jpeg

IMG_0943.jpeg

IMG_0942.jpeg

IMG_0941.jpeg

IMG_0950.jpeg

Congratulations! These are super cool. I, and many here, encourage you to improve your mechanic skills. You won't regret it. Plus the pride in your accomplishments when you're own hands have made progress toward your goal, is priceless.

So, grab a screwdriver and flip the bezel for a first step.😉

Congratulations! These are super cool. I, and many here, encourage you to improve your mechanic skills. You won't regret it. Plus the pride in your accomplishments when you're own hands have made progress toward your goal, is priceless.

So, grab a screwdriver and flip the bezel for a first step.😉
Thanks, I will flip the bezel soon. Right now it is being held on by one screw and a piece of wire, the other 3 are broken off so I will have to drill them out and find some replacement screws for it.

Wow, a testament to how long it's been like that! No rush, take your time and soak them in PB Blaster for a few days. You might be able to crank them out on the back side with vice grips if they stick out far enough. And heat from a torch works wonders.

Wow, a testament to how long it's been like that! No rush, take your time and soak them in PB Blaster for a few days. You might be able to crank them out on the back side with vice grips if they stick out far enough. And heat from a torch works wonders.
Okay I will try that. Thanks for your advice, I didn’t think about the vice grips.

That looks like an awesome start! Plenty of original paint and nice patina! For some parts and screws (like the bezel screws and spacers) you can actually get them from Toyota still for everything else there are great venders that are here on mud or started here. Questions are welcome!! And I second the idea of doing it yourself where you can. The service manuals can be found on here digitally or bought from venders like SOR, and explain the how-tos. Have fun!! And welcome to the hobby!!!

“Scrap yard resurrection”…Nice save.

There is something about the patina on these blue rigs. They fade to “cool”. Congratulations!!!

Welcome to the “cult”…😎

Another vote for doing your own work. You don't need to be a mechanic. Just get a few Factory Service Manuals (FSM's). There is really no substitute for the satisfaction of working on your own rig. Knowing every nook and cranny and the oddball noises and grunts these old beasts turn out.

That looks like an awesome start! Plenty of original paint and nice patina! For some parts and screws (like the bezel screws and spacers) you can actually get them from Toyota still for everything else there are great venders that are here on mud or started here. Questions are welcome!! And I second the idea of doing it yourself where you can. The service manuals can be found on here digitally or bought from venders like SOR, and explain the how-tos. Have fun!! And welcome to the hobby!!!
Thank you

Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom