play in steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

landwagon

SILVER Star
Threads
whats happening, steering wheel has play into the box, seems to be 1 or 2 inchs left to right, is that the norm ? thanks for the help.

good times, Tim
87 fj 60
99 taco trd
tlca 14863

tim harris said:
whats happening, steering wheel has play into the box, seems to be 1 or 2 inchs left to right, is that the norm ? thanks for the help.

that's a bit too much IMHO. FSM will have the spec for the correct amount of play but it sounds like your PS box is tired and possibly other steering components as well.

www.cruiserparts.net sells a very good remanufactured PS gear box for a fraction of a new OEM part.

worn TRE's and drag link ends, steering column u-joints, steering knuckles, and/or loose wheel bearings can all contribute to "slop" in the steering. one or more of these components may be creating your problem but don't be surprised if you have to address all of the above to solve the issue completely.

BTDT,
-dogboy- '87 FJ60

I have a 60 steering box that needs a rebuild I'd sell cheep if you want. But I agree with Dogboy2, you should check the small things first. If you do end up needing a new box after all Like I did, you could have this one rebuilt for much less and contenue driving around till it's ready. Just a thought. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom