Play in new leaf spring bushings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mopdog

SILVER Star
Threads
I purchased new leaf spring bushings for my 40. They seem loose so I threw a caliper on the spring eyes and the bushings. The spring eyes are about 7 thousandths over 1". The new bushings are 35 thousandths under 1" making for a pretty sloppy fit. Should I run them or return them and try a different company?

I had some new bushings that came in too small for the leaf eyes. I junked them and bought another brand that fit tighter.

There are two sizes of spring pin and shackle bolts, you have the wrong one. There is also two major sizes off spring eyes on 40 springs, that is why some bushings appear too big or too small.

There are two sizes of spring pin and shackle bolts, you have the wrong one. There is also two major sizes off spring eyes on 40 springs, that is why some bushings appear too big or too small.

The two different size bushings used weren't only .035" in OD difference. He doesn't have the wrong size bushings.

Last edited:
The two different size bushings used weren't only .035" in OD difference. He doesn't have the wrong size bushings.

After a little research, the larger bushings would not fit if they are true to size or even similarly undersized. I think I am going to try them, they are certainly a better fit than the remaining pieces of bushing that were in there.

I believe ShawnFJ40 was talking about the spring eye size difference between the early and later FJ40's. I know the ones built in the 80's took larger bushings. I was talking about actual size differences between manufacturers. I found differences up to almost an eighth of an inch! I will say that, although poly bushings have become all the rage, a good set of OEM rubber bushings worked and fit best in my '79 springs.

I believe ShawnFJ40 was talking about the spring eye size difference between the early and later FJ40's. I know the ones built in the 80's took larger bushings. I was talking about actual size differences between manufacturers. I found differences up to almost an eighth of an inch! I will say that, although poly bushings have become all the rage, a good set of OEM rubber bushings worked and fit best in my '79 springs.
Yep what he said :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom