Play in drive shaft...normal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I removed my rear drive shaft to replace the u joints. They are original with 330,000 on them. The u joints feel ok, smooth and tight. But there is a little back and forth (rotational) play in the shaft in the splines. Is this normal? It is just enough that I can feel it and see a little movement.

Apparently there is a bit of slack engineered into all the tolerances in the drive train to avoid binding. In the right situations that is why we get that clunk as all the slack comes out at once

Normal. Pump some more grease in and the slack will minimize.

Just replaced mine last week with a new one, $351 from the dealer.

So how is this addressed? I would assume try to find a lower milage used drive shaft?
Is the yoke where the play is? Or just t-case to front/rear axle?

So how is this addressed? I would assume try to find a lower milage used drive shaft?
It depends on your tolerance for vibration.
Worn slip yolks manifest as a vibration at speed in that sweet spot between acceleration and deceleration when there is little load on the yolk splines. The 2 halves will tend to flop around and cause a vibration. Adding grease would only be a temporary fix, depending on the amount of wear.
IME, it's best to replace the shaft with new as most driveline shops will use Spicer yolks and universals. I've not had good luck with those products.

Worn slip yolks manifest as a vibration at speed in that sweet spot between acceleration and deceleration when there is little load on the yolk splines. The 2 halves will tend to flop around and cause a vibration. Adding grease would only be a temporary fix, depending on the amount of wear.
IME, it's best to replace the shaft with new as most driveline shops will use Spicer yolks and universals. I've not had good luck with those products.
Yokes
Not
Yolks
🤔😜

Yokes
Not
Yolks
🤔😜

Thanks guys. I got it together with the new u joints I had. I had the u joints sitting around as spairs for a few years. I will probably just install it and see if i have any noticable vibes. The play is slight. If it gives me vibes I will order a new shaft. This one would make a killer trail spair with the new OEM u joints. Maybe I will keep it or sell it.

Not trying to start a fight, but what do most people use for driveshaft/u-joint grease these days? Thanks.

Not trying to start a fight, but what do most people use for driveshaft/u-joint grease these days? Thanks.

whatever is in my grease gun at the moment, right now its red grease so thats what theyll get. any grease is better than none, i think that the rm calls for black moly grease

Is that for a new assembled unit with u joints? If so that's not as bad as I thought it would be.

02A998E8-4300-4B9E-93C7-3BB8A601A93B.jpeg

Deleated this post, was a stupid idea

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom