Play In CV Axle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When trying to find a vibration coming from the front I have noticed alot of movement up and down where the inner cv joints go into the diff. Is this normal? also I can rotate them slightly where they go into the hub. The cv joints themselves look solid, but there just seem like alot of movement where they attach to..Vibration is minor, more of a noise really.

Any advise much appreciated

I never tried to wiggle them once they are snapped it place. Maybe your ring/retainer is missing on the inboard shaft? Post some pictures.

afaik, there is not supposed to be any play at the diff. Best guess for cause of the play at the hub would be worn splines on either the cv or the hub. Someone else here had a hub that wore, but I don't remember who and I don't think it is common.

Thanks, I will check the splines. The cv's have play on both ps/ds, even where it goes into the extender, best I pull the axles and check the clips.

I have checked the cv axles and the retaining clips are in place, also there is a slightest movement in the splines. I will be ordering the hub flanges soon, but I don't think that is causing the noise as there is no real clunk when taking up drive or gear changes.

If someone does have there head under there truck can you try the inner joint for movement, just push up on the bottom of the boot at the bucket and check for play. I have read that this normal but it just seems odd.

The noise I get is like when you drive on a bad road surface. I do have all terrain tires fitted, Cooper AT3's could they cause this. I get no vibrations through the wheel but can feel it slightly in the cab through my feet.

If the issue is with the front diff I can source the later 4 pinion fairly cheap, would this be a direct replacement with no mods.

It is normal to have a little play in the cv, if you have play in the drive Flange splines than you likely should change the cv as well. If you pop off the dust cap you will be able to see how worn the splines are.

I too, am hearing a slight noise on my 2000 fj100. And a noticeable slight "clunk" when shifting into forward or reverse, and sometimes when starting up from a stop sign, etc. Sounds like it coming from rear.

I wouldn't think any play would be "noticeable" from hub through to diff. There is some, but it's should be very solid to the naked eye. I would think least would be in diff, but again difficult to see.

Last edited:
Thanks all, I have 1/32" rotational movement in my splines on the hub both sides, is there zero tolerance to this. Would the repair be 2 x OEM cv axles and plates. OEM are Big bucks in the UK. I haven't really noticed any clunks on drive, but better to catch it early, also my noise could be inner cv's so two birds with one stone hopefully. These shafts look original with 170,000 on the clock, so is that the lifespan of these splines.

I wouldn't think any play would be "noticeable" from hub through to diff. There is some, but it's should be very solid to the naked eye. I would think most would be in diff, but again difficult to see.

There are two issues I found, it is the same movement on both shafts, one is the movement mentioned above at the hub, the other is a up/down movement on the inner joint where is goes into the diff/extension tube, this is about 1/8". It's not in the joint but where it goes in past the seal.

I edited a typo to read "least" in diff.

FSM doesn't give good number on movement that I've seen (yet). I wouldn't think you'd see much movement at diff, otherwise seals wouldn't last. With drive shaft (CV) joint it just reads check for no remarkable inboard, then check outboard. I don't see anything on up/down movement into drive shaft, but assume same. I would be most concerned with twisting play (back lash) at diff to axle shaft. My 01 LC feel pretty tight all they from end to end, I've not yet check the LX.

BENO knows this stuff better than I, and see's what is being order together.

If it was me, I'd just buy the parts at local dealer, then compare the difference. My local parts guys are cool with me returning any unused parts. They give me a good price, not as good as online or BENO. But convent and I've been going to same guy for over 20 years.

Last edited:
Thanks all, I have 1/32" rotational movement in my splines on the hub both sides, is there zero tolerance to this. Would the repair be 2 x OEM cv axles and plates. OEM are Big bucks in the UK. I haven't really noticed any clunks on drive, but better to catch it early, also my noise could be inner cv's so two birds with one stone hopefully. These shafts look original with 170,000 on the clock, so is that the lifespan of these splines.
I have no noticeable (eye ball) rotational movement at/in spline hub to axle . One of these days I need to get a backlash tool. I do check snap ring gap with every bearing service, but that deals with in out play.

Ok, Thanks for checking, OEM it is, I have read on here that the aftermarket CV's aren't up to the job, at least the new ones should last me 170,000 miles.

One more thing I'd add to vibration issue. Dealer has long known these wheels/tires are very difficult to balance. I have a local Discount tire that has the same equipment as the Dealer, that I use for balancing. That is; Road force balancer, 5/150 finger plate and Toyota cone hub. Even then if tech is not well trained on this equipment and doesn't takes time necessary, it will vibrate.

Thanks I have just found a tire place local with a road force tire machine so will give them ago in the week.

I wouldn't trust the dealer with my truck, they probably only see cars 3 yrs and newer due to there outrageous labour costs, so no one there has probably worked on a 100 series, especially a petrol version.

I don't have a FSM, I don't think they sell them over here, they just let you pay per view on Toyota website. So a PDF version would be great thanks.

I have managed to source a cv axle for $700 from a parts importer, but they only have one in stock. I think the dealer is $1000 each. It's crazy prices.

Update: Went and had wheels balanced today 2 out of 4 where out by quite a lot. Noise and vibration still there though, but again the symptoms changed slightly and feel to be easier to pin point. There is a booming from the rear which I think are to do with rear control arms, Toyota UK are out of stock of Rear lower arms for a month, I have upper arms and panhard rod already so will put them on soon. And there is a vibration from the front which does feel like inner cv joints, I have two front UCA's in the garage to put on and 1 cv axle arriving tomorrow with 2 hub flanges, I need to source another cv axle. Exhaust being custom made Thursday, Timing belt/ W pump on Friday. Busy week for the truck...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom