Plate bumper options? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know this is essentially sacrilegious, but has anyone ever checked out armor/bumper products for other similar square bodied rigs like the XJ and tried to modify it for their 60 series? I was looking for bumper design ideas, and came across this kit

I stumbled across jcroffroad.com and their DIY XJ bumper kits. The frame width is fairly similar to the 60 series, and to be able to get into a plate bumper kit for a little over $300 is pretty impressive, especially if you don’t have much for fab skills/tools. You would just have to adapt the frame mounts.

The kit comes as a flat CNC cut 3/16” steel that you bend and weld yourself.

Have any Cruiser companies come out with something similar that I haven’t come across?

4C63F4A7-0441-4C26-ADDA-37ACA08BF265.jpeg

Boy, have I got good news for you:
FJ60/62 Rear Bumper Kits

More expensive than the truly mass-produced (and lighter-built) versions for an XJ, but that's the same dynamic you see with every aftermarket cruiser part.
Only thing, that XJ one is for a front winch bumper..... but no one makes a “kit” for the front 60’s, and the couple tube bumper options look terrible.

Trying to find new avenues for something that isn’t ARB.....

Fair enough. I did a little more digging and found this one that I had some vague memory of:
1981-1987 Land Cruiser FJ60 / FJ62 Weld Together Winch Bumper Kit

I lucked out and got a newish ARB for a bit less than $700 for the bumper plus the missing hardware kit I got ARB to send me. Definitely not a useful strategy, but if something used comes up for a good price, that can be a good way to 'cheap out' if your budget isn't huge but you want good parts. It just takes a lot of patience and luck.

On the original topic: I think the odds of an XJ bumper looking 'right' on the front of a 60 are pretty low. The XJ is very superficially similar to the 60, but the space under and around the grille and fenders in front is fairly different in shape. A simple 'bar' style XJ/TJ/YJ bumper that isn't trying to hug the bodywork could work, though.

I'm really happy with my weld together front winch bumper kit from Northwest Trail Innovations. Google search and they'll come up. I got the bumper with winch for around $800, I think. Went together really nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom