Plastidip Thread (pictures wanted) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.thermalrecovery.com
Hey, let’s talk about PlastiDiping stuff…

Keywords: Plastidip Plasti Dip Cladding Wheel Paint DIPyourCar

If you are like me and have gone down, or want to go down the rabbit hole on this topic see below. If you have applied the stuff to your sweet precious baby angel 80, please post your pics, dirty pictures also welcome.

Pro’s? many

Con’s? yep

Wheels: So I Plastidipped My Wheels...

More on Wheels: Plasti Dip

Here is a tread from a Tundra Owner: 11 Second Tundra Goes Blue! - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum & Help Me Get My Truck Back! - TundraTalk.net - Toyota Tundra Discussion Forum

Interior parts: Interior parts refresh - Testing

Full black: For Sale - 1997 LX450

Sweet fender flares: To plasti dip or not (fender flares)

Lots of Pro’s in this one: PLASTI DIP

Just the cladding: Plasti Dipped My LX450

No affiliation but informative videos: DipYourCar

If I missed any good ones, let me know and I'll add them.

Picture and Close-ups if you have them, they are appreciated.

Interested in this. Been considering doing a 3-4" strip across the front of the hood to prevent rock chips in the paint. Is it thick enough to do that

Just a thought for those who stumble upon this thread... if you have a large, relatively flat area that you'd like to coat, consider some vinyl wrap. It's really easy to do yourself, requires practically zero prep, and it lasts a lot longer than the plastidip.

The trick to the dip is to use the topcoat, which makes it harder to peel off... which is the major plus to using it in the first place. Plasti-dip letter badges (like on the rear gate of the 100) is the perfect application, you can prep and tape off a small area, then pick out the spray between letters). Generally you'll need to respray exterior bits every two years or so. The top coat makes it last a lot longer, but you lose the ability to pick out the areas between letters (at that point, you may as well use normal paint).

For areas, your hood for example, my vote will always be vinyl... you can use 3M cutless tape to get the pattern you want, lay down the vinyl, then cut from underneath. It's super forgiving, really cheap, and the only real prep you need to do is a wipe with some alcohol and lint free rag

Would be curious to see the LX tupperware dipped either gold or silver (something that looks lexusy, not black)

Wheels done black. Grill and headlight surrounds done as well.

20180408_143059.jpg

image-20181111_161916.jpg

Interesting. I've got some very badly peeling stock LX rims that I was thinking of just roughening up and scaling off as much loose crap as possible, then rattle canning with some kind of plasti-dip or that hammered finish stuff.

Dipped wheels almost 2 years ago. Look as good as the day I did them. It’s all about the prep with PD. Did my grill a few weeks back.

upload_2018-11-25_0-38-2.png

upload_2018-11-25_0-36-23.png

upload_2018-11-25_0-36-23.jpeg

upload_2018-11-25_0-38-2.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom