Plastic engine bay panel - gx (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rex in bama

SILVER Star
Threads
Are these ok to remove and throw away? I’m speaking of the panel that covers the top of the radiator, held in by 10, or so, clips. It’s flimsy, does not seem to serve a cooling/air flow function, has broken clips, and is a general PITA.

The air dam above the radiator is probably the one trim piece I would recommend you keep. It forces air to flow through the radiator for cooling while you drive instead of traveling up over the top and into the engine bay. The rest of them are for show, but that one has a specific functional purpose. If you need more clips you can buy them on Amazon. I have these and they work well: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074X9WF68

The air dam above the radiator is probably the one trim piece I would recommend you keep. It forces air to flow through the radiator for cooling while you drive instead of traveling up over the top and into the engine bay. The rest of them are for show, but that one has a specific functional purpose. If you need more clips you can buy them on Amazon. I have these and they work well: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074X9WF68
You are probably right, it forces some air through. Would think that most of the cooling, though, would be from air pulled through by the fan. Thanks for the link!

You are probably right, it forces some air through. Would think that most of the cooling, though, would be from air pulled through by the fan. Thanks for the link!
When you are stationary, the fan creates necessary airflow to make up for the lack of air movement through the radiator. While driving, especially at speed, the natural airflow is the primary source for cooling. The air dam isn't the greatest factor in the cooling, but it makes enough difference, especially in warmer temperatures, that it is worth keeping on for the additional help in funneling air through rather than being wasted over the top.

The plastics are also there probably for sound dampening. If you care for that, then you should keep them. If not, garbage it is.

Sound dampening is what I’ll second. It is a pain to keep all of those clips intact and check everything underneath but as someone mentioned above, the clips are cheap and once you buy a whole kit of them they are not difficult to put on, break, and put back on again

Follow- up on this thread. Ended up making a few mods to the plastic panel to ease accessing the overflow bottle and radiator cap. These will not affect airflow through the radiator - the overflow is on the inboard side and the air was not blocked around the radiator cap, anyway. MUCH easier to check coolant levels now.

5C6037C0-3D0C-47FA-9D53-AA2B74353F6D.jpeg

If you should bolt an air compressor under your hood, you use that plastic piece to mount your compressor attachments!
My build thread, starting at #82: Builds - R2M 2013 GX460 Overland Build
1587924384781.png

1587924412572.png

I trimmed mine around the radiator fill cap for ease of access.

I've been running mine without it for a few weeks after I got tired of taking it on and off while changing coolant, installing a light bar, installing a front camera, etc. I haven't noticed any changes or higher running temps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom