Plasti dip black out grilll budget mod (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
couldnt handle the chrome anymore

7BEC9F91-3F1E-4A24-8AF0-003DB6615A6C.jpeg

8A772FE7-0AD2-45E6-8F20-FAB97EDE5BB7.jpeg

FE930827-5538-451F-8605-2F3E236AA0F8.jpeg

How long did it take you to do that? Looks good
Super easy: Open hood, remove three screws at grille top, release two clips at grill bottom, grills lifts right out.

Take off the emblem if you want (three more screws), clean off dust, and paint. Use many many light coats of Plasti Dip. Warm the cans in hot tap water before spraying for the best finish.

IMG_9621.JPG

Last edited:
And just peel off easily if no like?

JoelCook...what color paint and brand are your wheels? thanks

How long did it take you to do that? Looks good
like 20 mins to paint it. I sprayed it with bug remover then a remove all degreaser let it dry then sprayed it on top of a garbage can. You kinda want to put it on in layers like mist it over and over and it kinda fills in everything. Best part is if you want the old look back the stuff just peels off

I really wished my LC had body color bumpers. Looks pretty cool when the grill is all blacked out

Did this recently myself, kind of rushed it so there is some unevenness. But it is very easy to do - just multiple layers so it takes a couple hours but only about 20 minutes total of actual activity.

2i71ff4.jpg

And just peel off easily if no like?

JoelCook...what color paint and brand are your wheels? thanks
the wheels are Toyota factory wheels and my buddy owns a small body shop so he kind of made the color himself but i can ask him the basics of the mixture he is painting one now for me for the spare.

War Eagle!!!

Looks like typical Graphite or Gun metal color.

I just cheaply rattle canned my wheels with graphite.

And I do believe out of all the LXs I’ve had and do have, this is the best looking front end. Wonder if I should add the Japanese TEQ logo?

8FE94714-A440-4742-A29E-3CD1A01DAC4D.jpeg

1699C0F7-602A-425C-BE7C-29396E9E19B3.jpeg

Last edited:
like 20 mins to paint it. I sprayed it with bug remover then a remove all degreaser let it dry then sprayed it on top of a garbage can. You kinda want to put it on in layers like mist it over and over and it kinda fills in everything. Best part is if you want the old look back the stuff just peels off
Dope! Thanks for the info I might make an attempt soon, I like the blacked out look. Cheers!

I've dipped 8 whole cars now. One thing i've learned is to make sure everything is absolutely dry. That means little gaps between trim panels, under lug nuts if doing your wheels on the truck. Anywhere water can get that is where you'll be spraying needs to be dry.

I started using my air compressor to blow out all of the gaps before I spray to make sure. If you get any water it will cause the dip to blister off in that area.

Also, you don't want to leave any wax or debris on the surface you're dipping or it will make it a) a royal pain to remove the dip later or b) the dip won't stick to start with and you'll have to redo it anyway.

Best of luck dipping!

It only took like 30-45 minutes. I always do at least 5 coats and invest in a wide dispersion nozzle and a hand trigger or a gallon and spray gun. Makes all the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom