Plasti-Dip black on black (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,

Recently, I ('99 LC, Black, 170K) had a bit of a run in with a cement barricade in a parking lot (was an old lamp post barrier with the lamp post removed, so I couldn't see the barricade as I pulled out of the spot). Long story short, I sustained a bit of front end damage. I deiced to use this as an opportunity to repair the damage myself. I popped the dent in the bumper out using a heat gun and a bit of brute force then painted it along with the side cowling and rear bumper. While I was at it I also painted the front grill. I was a little unsure about the large amount of plasti-dip to be used, but now that it is done I absolutely love the results. I thought I would share some pictures for those interested.

PS I know plasti-dip isn't for everyone, but I hope that some folks may enjoy this look - I sure do.

Before - Side
cXWdP6q.jpg

After -Side
UKW3lvg.jpg

Before - Front
7n6h28x.jpg

After - Front
Wv1czcO.jpg

After - Grill (please excuse the water spots)
kGIkLiM.jpg

After - Rear (sorry no before)
g8gBTvJ.jpg

One last shot
UtT6zIe.jpg

Thank You

I love it. It is a great look for 4wd vehicles!

I like it!! I have a black 98 LC that I was thinking of doing this treatment to. How many cans of plastic dip did you end up using? Also how durable is this on the exterior of a vehicle?

Very nice, how did it go with the rear emblems? Also how many coats did you do on your grill? I did 3 coats that seemed solid at the time, but I'm already showing a bit of chrome beneath. Needs to be redone, but I'm waiting on my new DEPO headlights to knock it all out at once.

I'm doing a grill today, interested to see how it turns out. I had the grill re-painted on mine when I bought it, but 3.5 years later it's chipping again of course. If plastidip lasts 3 years, I'll sacrifice looks for a $8 v $200.

I'm doing a grill today, interested to see how it turns out. I had the grill re-painted on mine when I bought it, but 3.5 years later it's chipping again of course. If plastidip lasts 3 years, I'll sacrifice looks for a $8 v $200.
Are you sure Plasti-dip can handle grill temps?

I would have thought that a dented bumper was a sign from the Land Cruiser gods to get a steel bumper, but I think this looks pretty good (and is certainly cheaper).

Are you sure Plasti-dip can handle grill temps?

No. I'd be more concerned if it was constant high heat, but the grill has constant air flow when operating. I doubt it will ever get above 200°f (which is what is supposedly rated for). I'll measure grill temp in Texas July and see how hot it gets.

No. I'd be more concerned if it was constant high heat, but the grill has constant air flow when operating. I doubt it will ever get above 200°f (which is what is supposedly rated for). I'll measure grill temp in Texas July and see how hot it gets.
I'm certain that my truck's plasti dip'd grill held up to the hot temps we see here in the summer (110*+ sometimes, and consistently over 100*), and is only failing due to poor application on my part. I wound't be concerned about temp at all.

I dipped my 04 LC, Grill, side moldings and all chrome badges....LOVE IT, get lots of compliments....but I will say, it's not durable at all. I've redone 2 of my side moldings. This summer I will use paint to get same matte black effect. way more durable.

uckzppg4whkvo4mpj1qs.jpg
536s04d5ov624tv65elf.jpg
6ny1exwcfj1vu6v0onk3.jpg

It looks pretty good, I should have ran a piece of sandpaper over it first. There are a couple of dings I can see now. If it doesn't get too dinged up, I think I'll like it.

image.jpg image.jpg

Oh good grief, I'm such a moron - I was thinking grill, as in BBQ.

Hahahahaha

I need more sleep...

Hey guys,

Let me see if I can shed some light on a few of these questions. Please be advised, I am far from an expert when it comes to plant-dip, but I am happy to share my limited knowledge/experience.

I like it!! I have a black 98 LC that I was thinking of doing this treatment to. How many cans of plastic dip did you end up using? Also how durable is this on the exterior of a vehicle?
8 cans all totaled up.

Time will tell. I have used it in the past on other cars cars. It gets dinged up from time to time, but it is pretty easy to touch up (as long as it doesn't start to peel away). My recommendation is to pull the trigger, you can always remove it. I was on the fence about it, but not that it is done, I couldn't be happier. In truth, the pictures do not do it justice

Very nice, how did it go with the rear emblems? Also how many coats did you do on your grill? I did 3 coats that seemed solid at the time, but I'm already showing a bit of chrome beneath. Needs to be redone, but I'm waiting on my new DEPO headlights to knock it all out at once.
Rear emblems are not plasti-diped, they were like that when I bought them. I used 5 coats. I expect to have to redo the grill from time to time. Be sure to post up those headlight when you are done!

I would have thought that a dented bumper was a sign from the Land Cruiser gods to get a steel bumper, but I think this looks pretty good (and is certainly cheaper).
Yeah, I went into this thinking the same thing. I figured that I would give it a shot and see how it turned out. Very happy with the result. I think I will leave it as is for a while and see how it goes. No reason I can't buy the new bumper later.

I dipped my 04 LC, Grill, side moldings and all chrome badges....LOVE IT, get lots of compliments....but I will say, it's not durable at all. I've redone 2 of my side moldings. This summer I will use paint to get same matte black effect. way more durable.
Nice Rig! Making me rethink my the steel bumper. Yeah, I'm a little concerned about the longevity of the plasti-dip, but I really like that I can remove it if I decide to go back to stock.

Rear emblems are not plasti-diped, they were like that when I bought them. I used 5 coats. I expect to have to redo the grill from time to time. Be sure to post up those headlight when you are done!

Ah ok so now I'm really jealous of the dark emblem! I've got the terrible gold going on and it needs to be addressed... badly. I'm going to peel and redo the grill with more coats, and I'll definitely put some pics of the lights up, I seriously can't wait to see them. Now you've got me wanting to 'dip the bumpers too!

It really works with "Black-on-black" you have going!

Ah ok so now I'm really jealous of the dark emblem! I've got the terrible gold going on and it needs to be addressed... badly. I'm going to peel and redo the grill with more coats, and I'll definitely put some pics of the lights up, I seriously can't wait to see them. Now you've got me wanting to 'dip the bumpers too!

I have done emblems in the past, in fact it was my very first time using plasti-dip. It work pretty well. The best part is if you dont like it/fxxx it up you can pull it off and start over. If you need help finding a tutorial let me know. I know the 4runner guys do it a lot.

It really works with "Black-on-black" you have going!

Yeah, I couldn't be happier. It side moldings look pretty good on white trucks as well, but I'm not sure if you could get away with the whole bumper. Just ram something with your truck and go for it ;)

Did you do the side moldings in place or remove them?

Left everything in place. Masked off the paint about half an inch away the the molding. Once dry, I peeled the plasti-dip up to the edge of the molding where it tore along the paint/molding seam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom