Plasma or Steel wire winch rope? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As per title. Presently using steel.

Plasma?
Cool:cool:

Is that like some kind of handheld tractor beam?
Beam me up, Scotty!
:D

BTW, got steel on the Cow's winch. Thought of using synthetic, but hope to not use it much.
But it's dumb to carry around the extra weight, so maybe I'll swap it out if I can find the cash before I do any more than repacking the cable from it's factory wind.

Once you use synthetic you'll never want to use steel again.:D All my rigs have synthetic line on 'em.:)

Cover it up so the UVs don't damage it. :frown:

It may be heavier, it might not be as flexible, it may not be as efficient, but damn it, I trust wire rope on a winch way more than synthetic. I've heard the arguments, even from professionals and guys that winch way more than myself. But for overall ruggedness, no one can tell me that steel won't hold up better than nylon (or other synthetic blend). The weather, the water, the mud, the sharp rocks and other hazards that a winch line is exposed to, I prefer wire rope. I think I could trust my ability to judge the condition of wire rope better than synthetic if I was in doubt. Especially when I've seen what just sunlight can do to the reliability of synthetic products. And I can't think of any test other than to try it to prove if it's sound. You can't always know the history of a particular winch rope, but at least with wire rope, it is usually evident what condition it's in. I may be tempted to carry a synthetic extension line tucked away from the elements inside my rig, but whats wound around the spool is wire rope, for me. :cheers:

synth is good for self recovery where your truck is moving not the line. When you are winching someone else (90% of the time seeing as we own cruisers! :D ) I do not like it as it wears against everything it is being dragged over. You have to be careful not to pinch it on a rock or tree and make sure you keep it clean and covered.

I have synth on my samurai and on my cruiser it will be wire rope.

It may be heavier, it might not be as flexible, it may not be as efficient, but damn it, I trust wire rope on a winch way more than synthetic.

Maybe you respool the line every time you use the winch, ensuring it's laying properly on the drum and properly tensioned....
Maybe you only winch yourself thru a few layers on the drum, then stop to ensure it's not cross-layering, re-spooling as necessary before continuing...
Maybe you fully extend the winch when you get home to inspect it and re-spool properly...and replace it promptly...
Maybe you are lucky enough to have your anchor directly ahead of you, helping ensure the line properly layers...

I'm not that guy ;)

I'm lazy, and most of my recovery situations required prompt action. Synthetic is FAR more forgiving. Other than an occasional fresh-water rinse, I usually ignore my line.

And when it does break (and it has), it doesn't lash back nearly as much and is far less dangerous.

Maybe you respool the line every time you use the winch, ensuring it's laying properly on the drum and properly tensioned....
Maybe you only winch yourself thru a few layers on the drum, then stop to ensure it's not cross-layering, re-spooling as necessary before continuing...
Maybe you fully extend the winch when you get home to inspect it and re-spool properly...and replace it promptly...
Maybe you are lucky enough to have your anchor directly ahead of you, helping ensure the line properly layers...

I'm not that guy ;)........

Me neither! But, I do try to put it away at the end of the day somewhat neat and tensioned.

........I'm lazy, and most of my recovery situations required prompt action. Synthetic is FAR more forgiving. Other than an occasional fresh-water rinse, I usually ignore my line.......
I'm lazy, too. Until it comes to wheeling. Somehow I can muster more energy on an outing than say, when I'm working around the yard or slaving at the job. But I have worked with synthetic rope and straps and can see the advantages in handling it. I don't trust my ability to judge the condition of it - especially because it would get neglected a lot, like you say. Are weak points and damage on synthetic as obvious as wire rope? The extra caution needed when using it when exposed to an abrasive environment would make me really nervous.

........And when it does break (and it has), it doesn't lash back nearly as much and is far less dangerous.

This is by far, the worst exposure using wire rope, I think. Definitely the advantage goes to synthetic, here.

BTW, thanks for the link in your sig line for MUD T-shirts!

Maybe you respool the line every time you use the winch, ensuring it's laying properly on the drum and properly tensioned.....

I do .. not each time that I use the winch in a our muddy trips .. but when I'm back at home .. pull it, clean, oil it and respool ..

And sure the ropes are so much sweet to handle in the trail .. if just they can hold a bigger life span .. would be fantastic ..

Once you use synthetic you'll never want to use steel again.:D

Not everyone shares that opinion. I switched to synthetic line last year and used it twice. And both times the line frayed and had to be respliced. It is not forgiving and I found it to be too fragile. Once it frays it has to be cut out and respliced. After the first time, I added a 2nd protector and it still managed to find a spot to rub on. I think terrain makes a big difference also. When winching your vehicle doesn't always go in a straight line, so when it moves a little sideways for example, you might find the line starts rubbing on something. Sometimes trees and rocks are close, and there might be a lot of them.

I switched back and I'll be sticking with my wire rope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom