Planning to do knuckle rebuild in March... HAMOM (Charlotte) or should I tacklet this myself? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok, bumping this up. I just bought the knuckle rebuild kit from Cruiser Brothers. And I got all the extra supplies needed (thanks to Dave's guidance). The date, for those willing and able to lend your hands or just your knowledge, is Saturday March 20. I watched the OTRAMM video closely to get a better understanding of what this job entails. It's actually not too bad, but I would still welcome all the help. Of course, I'll have the vehicle prepped and ready to go. To keep time down as much as possible (I'm sure your wives/gfs don't want you wasting an entire Saturday with me), I'll remove everything up to the rotor. I've done that much before. Past that is unchartered territory for me. I think I have all the tools needed. I don't have fancy gadgets like impact guns or pickle forks. So, feel free to bring any needed tools for this job, if I don't have it. But just from the OTRAMM video, I think I'm good.

As for the the suspension, I just ordered the Dobinson stock height suspension. Dave offered to get that done at his place. So, he and I will knock that out at another date.

If you are able to assist on March 20, send me a message or text me at 718-926-4804. Thank you!

Last edited:
To keep time down as much as possible (I'm sure your wives/gfs don't want you wasting an entire Saturday with me)...

I think all of our significant others have learned that we "waste" time on our and other's rigs on a regular basis!

Knuckle Kit from Cruiser Brothers came in a few days ago! Anything else I need? More towels? More brake cleaner? More grease? I'll get another tub of moly and another plastic bin.

Knuckles.jpg

Last edited:
Knuckle Kit from Cruiser Brothers came in a few days ago! Anything else I need? More towels? More brake cleaner? More grease? I'll get another tub of moly and another plastic bin.

View attachment 2604316
Looks like you’ve pretty much got it covered. Big pieces of cardboard to lay down if you don’t want grease on your garage floor.

Yup, got the cardboard as well.

Change of date: I decided to push this up to this Saturday, the 13th, instead of the 20th. If anyone is interested in joining in, message or text me at 718-926-4804. So far, I have:
- Dave + Nathan
- Scott

No prob. Thanks!

I should be back on Sunday, you might still be working on it, let me know and I can swing by to encourage and inspire. I used a lot of small ziplocks bags to save the hardware as I was taking it off, and a sharpie to mark what was in the bag. A small plastic paint bucket was then useful to clean the parts with some degreaser spray before putting it all back in.

The shims, as they come off each side, are important to stay on that side, another reason for the little baggies of parts.

Thanks Izzy! Depends how far we get on Saturday. Dave and his son have to leave at 3p. Scott (kiichiro) plans on getting there around 10:30-11a.

Almost had to cancel this, as the front diff won't lock. I had Dave try, and he confirmed it wasn't locking. Rear locks immediately. But then, Scott found this thread, where Beno (Onur) confirmed that the front diff doesn't have to be locked to do a knuckle rebuild. So, we should be good to go.
Front Locker wont lock and I need to rebuild my front axle

I will let you know if we don't finish on Saturday.

Thanks Izzy! Depends how far we get on Saturday. Dave and his son have to leave at 3p. Scott (kiichiro) plans on getting there around 10:30-11a.

Almost had to cancel this, as the front diff won't lock. I had Dave try, and he confirmed it wasn't locking. Rear locks immediately. But then, Scott found this thread, where Beno (Onur) confirmed that the front diff doesn't have to be locked to do a knuckle rebuild. So, we should be good to go.
Front Locker wont lock and I need to rebuild my front axle

I will let you know if we don't finish on Saturday.
Didnt know that was a question, I didnt have to lock my front when doing the knuckles. Only time you are supposed to lock it is when you remove the locker, or install a locker. Must be in locked position, not hard to do.

Well awesome. Then I don't have to go to a local public gravel lot and do donuts for 15 minutes. :rofl:

Yup, that was the first place I went. Unfortunately, it was packed! I found a construction site off Rehobeth Rd. So, I ran tight circles for a while. Front diff would never lock.

Big thanks to Dave and Scott (kiichiro) for teaching and guiding me through this, and of course, for getting all dirty, especially Dave's son, Nathan, for cleaning a lot of the parts. The buildup of whatever that is was really caked on there. Difficult to take progress pics with hands deep in grease.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

You could not have had a better day to do this outside!
Yeah, it was perfect timing. Our neighborhood trees bloomed and now there is pollen everywhere!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom