Pitman bolt - steering adjust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m trying to loosen the pitman bolt on my steering box in attempt to adjust some of the play out of it. I cannot, however, get the damn thing loose. I’ve tried numerous kinds of penetrating oils with no luck. Any suggestions?

1982 FJ40. Manual steering.

It isn’t clear what you are talking about. If you are talking about the adjuster screw for the sector shaft, do you mean the lock nut or the screw itself? The screw should turn easily once the lock nut is loose. If not, get a bigger screw driver.

If you are talking about the big nut on the end of the sector shaft that retains the Pitman arm, then get a longer wrench or put a 4 foot cheater bar on it.

Reactions: OSS
I’m trying to loosen the pitman bolt on my steering box in attempt to adjust some of the play out of it. I cannot, however, get the damn thing loose. I’ve tried numerous kinds of penetrating oils with no luck. Any suggestions?

1982 FJ40. Manual steering.
I think you may be talking about this adjustment? If not, this is worth doing as well.
29B50892-102F-4419-AB10-BA701A66B65C.jpeg
56E08D0A-E380-416B-BAC8-AF8383EEDE2E.jpeg

Yeah sorry I was talking about the lock nut. I was hesitant to take the cheater bar to it. I think in 40 years it has never been loosened and it really does not want to let go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom