Pitman arm removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I upgraded my 74 Fj40 to power steering and installed a 79 FJ40 power steering box. Everything is working fine but I have a fluid leak at the pitman arm. Got a seal from CruiserDan and went to pull my pitman arm today, It won't move. The nut and washer came off fine but I've broken 2 gear pullers and went to Sears and bought the largest one they had and tightened it with a breaker bar till I couldn't move it and still no go. I'm afaid I'll have a pin shear on the puller and it will shoot through my fender. I heated the arm as much as I could without burning up the PS box. If I knew if the arm was the same as the manual arm I might split the arm off the shaft with a cutting wheel. Any sugestions?

Thanks
Kevin

Snap On makes a puller that will pull it, FYI the arms are the same.
Butch

Tighten the bejeezus out of the puller and then smack the side of the pitman arm with a BFH right over the splines and they will usually come off. I have pulled several arms with a K-D tools puller.

Last edited:
Heat

Mine had the same problem. Try heating it up. Mine would not move. Broke the puller. Heat it up with a torch untill it red then try it.

That's what worked for me.

Well I tightened the bejeezus out of it and the one arm on the puller snapped off. Sounded like a gunshot and bent my inner fender. Barrowed one from a local quarry that's a little bigger so I'll try that with heat. I'm just afraid of cooking the guts in the box.

Kevin

Texican said:
Snap On makes a puller that will pull it, FYI the arms are the same.
Butch

I have one of the SnapOn cj119B pullers and have broken it twice trying to get Land Cruiser pitman arms off. I cant say I recommend it, had much better luck with the $38 KD tools one at NAPA, and it was 1/3 the price.

The KD tools one looks like the cheaper ones with the wierd "C" shape but its black and seems to be made of much better material.

Also, tighten the puller up, leave it on overnight, and often they will be laying on the ground. Also, I have good luck striking the head of the bolt in the puller once its as tight as I dare get it.

Definitely do the BFH thing Pin_Head mentioned.

cruiserbrett said:
I have one of the SnapOn cj119B pullers and have broken it twice trying to get Land Cruiser pitman arms off

Dang Brett, this shocks me, we have 2 in our shop and pull 5-6 Pitman arms a week, we have worn the threads on the bolt, and had to have them replaced, but never broke one, I have pulled at least 30 LC arms with mine.....we use a IR 300 ft lb impact on them.
What part of it broke?
Butch
20982.JPG

pit arm removal

no need for puller, just a solid strike to the side of the spline, sure it'll pop out

Well I got it and it only cost me 2 pullers. I tighten the piss out of the bolt then heated the arm. Tighten the puller till it squeaked and bang it was off. I put it back with never seize so it shouldn't be too bad in the future.
The old seal looked for the life of me to be in backwards... rubber out metal ring in. I hope thats wronge because I replaced it the other way around. When I pulled it there was water and rust behind it.

Texican if my puller looked like that it would have worked alot better. Mine was a 2 arm gear puller (well 1 1/2 arm now).

Steering works great and so far no leaks.

Thanks for the help
Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom