Pitman arm from hell. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lt1fire

SILVER Star
Threads
Trying to remove the pitman arm from my brother in laws 91 yota pickup. It failed inspection because of a leaky box. Got the new box but I cannot get the pitman arm to release from the old box. It bent the cheap auto zone pitman puller. Then snapped off one of the arms on their beffed up $200 rental version. I got refunds on both those and got one from Napa that looks pretty stout. Now my plan is one of patience. Going to snug it down tight and then apply heat, wait for it to cool and pb blast the hell out of it again. Wait a few hours tighten the puller again and repeat. After browsing a few posts on pirate it seemed like that was the preferred method other than just cutting it off.

If it isn't off using this method by tomorrow night I'll most likely have my brother in law just get a new arm. The moog ones are on sale on rockauto right now anyway.

I'm open to suggestion though, never had this much trouble with one before.

Heat it up and then Give it a few good blows with a dead blow hammer, while the puller is on.

If that doesn't work...new pitman arm.

On Burt I had to replace the box when I couldn't remove the arm. We tried everything short of a torch. It's still at Darins

Hi, OTC is the only puller I've got them off with , or press it off, but don't fully remove the nut until you hear the Bang. Mike

I'd be cutting that thing off if a torch doesn't knock it loose. How much is your collective time worth dicking around with that thing? JMO, but GL. FWIW, I've never had an issue w/ a standard puller.

:beer: R

When using your torch, get the bitch as hot as possible, both in front and in back. She'll come off, but it's gonna require a ton of heat, then a ton of PB Blaster, then a ton more heat.

Is pb blaster flammable? Haha

Meatball

it has decided to stay with the original box. Nothing I did could get it off. 2 cannisters of map gas 3 pullers a can of PB and a BFH and it's still on. New pitman arm on order.

Damn Al, no fun aqt all. I am with Ramon, sometimes just getting the new pitman arm is well worth missing all the BS

I used my favorite secret blend that I learned here: ATF + acetone let soak for the night and off it came

I don't know the science behind those things getting stuck on there so tight but pretty damn amazing. Did the same thing and purchased and oversized tough as s*** OTC puller. Did the trick with lots of heat and a big hammer. If I had to do it over again I would have purchased the new arm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom