pitman arm for saginaw

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by akcruza, Mar 2, 2004.

1. akcruza

akcruza

i have a saginaw manual steering box and my tie rod does not fit the pitman arm. there is alot of play. what would be the best remedy. I have no idea what the box came out of because it was installed when I bought it. I replaced the tie rods and ran into the problem. I'd also like to get a drop pitman arm if possible. can anyone steer me in the right direction.

2. Isotel

Isotel

Media:
    Albums:
    you man be able to find metal tubing that will take up some slop, you may need to drill it out to fit better, if you need a drop pitman, go to the junk yard and look at jeep cherokee's, that may solve two problems in one

3. Doorguy

Doorguy

You didn't put a Toyota TRE on did you? The pitman needs a Chevy end. I bought my reach rod with the Toyota and Chevy ends from Downey or Man-A Fre can't remember. When I bought it it had a water pipe for a rod, with both ends welded on!!

4. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    Saginaw boxes almost ALL use the same diameter and splines at the box end....length, drop and opening size for the drag link end vary. It's a tapered fit, so there will be no tubing out there that will snug it up.

What ends are you using?? Your only/easiest option may be to remove the pitman, take to a fab shop and get the tie rod hole welded shut/redrilled/retapered. All tie rod ends have a large diameter/small diameter/depth requirement and degree of taper for install....some are very common, some are oddball.

5. theo

theo

I tried using a mid-70s pitman arm and could not find a TRE to fit that didn't have the extra long solid end. (The drag link on many GM cars of that era were attached to the long end of the TRE. I ran into a bunch of them.)

I ended up buying a pitman that had been welded and redrilled with a different taper to fit "standard" TREs. This is with stock suspension, though, so I used a flat pitman.

I also had to shorten the drag link and retap one end for US threads. (A few bucks there for a drill bit and tap.)

I've also heard the Cherokee drop arms are worth a look.

6. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

I bought one a while back. I didn't like it for my application as it wasn't long enough to turn the wheels all the way to the stops. I did find that they were $10 cheaper new than what the junkyard wanted.

7. HI^C

HI^C

a manual saginaw box?

time to change to power box and finish draglink and such all at the same time?

got pics i will try to ID it. most manual boxes off of a car mount inside the frame rails, trucks are out side.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.