1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pitman arm for saginaw

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by akcruza, Mar 2, 2004.

1. akcruza

akcruza

i have a saginaw manual steering box and my tie rod does not fit the pitman arm. there is alot of play. what would be the best remedy. I have no idea what the box came out of because it was installed when I bought it. I replaced the tie rods and ran into the problem. I'd also like to get a drop pitman arm if possible. can anyone steer me in the right direction.

2. Isotel

Isotel

Media:
    Albums:
    you man be able to find metal tubing that will take up some slop, you may need to drill it out to fit better, if you need a drop pitman, go to the junk yard and look at jeep cherokee's, that may solve two problems in one

3. Doorguy

Doorguy

You didn't put a Toyota TRE on did you? The pitman needs a Chevy end. I bought my reach rod with the Toyota and Chevy ends from Downey or Man-A Fre can't remember. When I bought it it had a water pipe for a rod, with both ends welded on!!

4. woody

woody unhelpful spotter Staff Member Admin

Media:
    Albums:
    Saginaw boxes almost ALL use the same diameter and splines at the box end....length, drop and opening size for the drag link end vary. It's a tapered fit, so there will be no tubing out there that will snug it up.

What ends are you using?? Your only/easiest option may be to remove the pitman, take to a fab shop and get the tie rod hole welded shut/redrilled/retapered. All tie rod ends have a large diameter/small diameter/depth requirement and degree of taper for install....some are very common, some are oddball.

5. theo

theo

I tried using a mid-70s pitman arm and could not find a TRE to fit that didn't have the extra long solid end. (The drag link on many GM cars of that era were attached to the long end of the TRE. I ran into a bunch of them.)

I ended up buying a pitman that had been welded and redrilled with a different taper to fit "standard" TREs. This is with stock suspension, though, so I used a flat pitman.

I also had to shorten the drag link and retap one end for US threads. (A few bucks there for a drill bit and tap.)

I've also heard the Cherokee drop arms are worth a look.

6. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

I bought one a while back. I didn't like it for my application as it wasn't long enough to turn the wheels all the way to the stops. I did find that they were $10 cheaper new than what the junkyard wanted.

7. HI^C

HI^C

a manual saginaw box?

time to change to power box and finish draglink and such all at the same time?

got pics i will try to ID it. most manual boxes off of a car mount inside the frame rails, trucks are out side.