1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pit Bull woes

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by dealmaker, Jul 28, 2005.

1. dealmaker

dealmaker

I live in a 12-unit townhouse complex that backs up to a public park and child's playground. The complex is gated, but the units themselves are side-by-side in a U-shape and are for the most part open to the common areas (walkways, pool, etc). One of the owners two doors down either just got a pit bull, or has a friend who who owns one and visits them frequently.

A few days ago, a couple kids were sitting out on the steps in front of their place with the dog, which barked at me when I went to the mailbox. That was the first I've seen of the dog and I didn't really think anything of it as some of the other owners in our complex have dogs that bark. However, a couple hours later, another owner here said he's seen the dog, on several recent occasions, show aggression (pulling at end of leash and barking/growling) on people while he was being walked in the park, and at pedestrtians walking by on the sidewalk in fron of the complex.

Now, the neighbor/possible owner in question is a 40-something single mom with a 20-something son and 14 yr. old daughter. They are not exactly the model neighbors in that it is common to have people coming and going from the place all the time, and for awhile almost nightly between 12:00AM - 4:30AM. I think half the time the mom isn't even there, and when she is she's partying with them. They also seem to have different people living there on a regular basis. So...we (the other unit owners) have had to put up with other issues from them as well.

My point is this...having two young kids and their little friends that visit often, I'm not thilled about the fact that my neighbors may have actually gotten a pit bull and are raising it in their condo, and that it is apparently exhibiting aggressive behavior. I sent them an email requesting that if it is a friend of theirs that owns it, that they insist he not bring it around here when visiting (I inferred to the huge legal liability as well). But if its theirs there isn't really much I can do other than cringe at their absolute lack of good judgement. I have a small arsenal, but with kids in the house I don't want loaded guns around waiting for The Day The Dog Goes Off. What are my options? Should I ask them if I can introduce my kids to the dog in hopes the dog can become familiar with them or is that a waste of time. Should I go ahead and call the police and animal control now before anyhting gets out of hand? Am I just being a paranoid ass? What would you do?

2. mloudy

mloudy

Video the dogs behavior and call AC or the police. The e-mail will likely just set them off and they will be out to get you or your vehicle. If your description of mom is correct I have dealt with a few people like the her. They couldn't care less what anyone thinks of them or their dog.

PS don't forget and leave any anti-freeze laying around in bowls.

3. Jman

Jman

Bingo. I like pitbulls ( ;p ) but this does not sound like the model situation for raising one--no real alpha to keep the dog in line and socialize it properly.

4. camcruiser13

camcruiser13

Media:
    Albums:
    slip it a steak laced with some good ol' poison, problem solved

5. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

And if your wife is making cookies, please remind her not to leave any raw ingrediants around .. like dark bakers chocolate mixed with peanut butter. You need to be careful. Guns don't kill pits, cookies kill pits.

TY

6. 2badfjs

2badfjs

SOUNDS LIKE DRUG DEALING TO ME.

call the feds,and let them know about all the in and out activity all through the night.
    the pit is there to prtect them from jonesers who like to steal.
    start there and see wht happens.
    record the weird behavior goin on.
    if people are goin in and out and staying for short periods of time,DRUG DEALING.

A LITTLE FYI FROM A FORMER DD, ALONG LONG TIME AGO....
    GET RID OF THEM FAST.
    AINT NOTHIN WORSE THAN DEALERS IN YOUR AREA!!!!

7. weak-link

weak-link

Media:
    last thing you want to do is act afraid of the pit. tell your kids not to look at in the eyes, dont run around it. dont do anything to make it think that its being chaleged.

with my own A.P.B.T if some walks into the house and just acts like the dogs not there, he dosen't do anything. but one of my friends is scared of him just because he's a pit, well the dog knows it and screws with him.

hope this helps

8. trucruiser

trucruiser

A good oak wedge breaking stick unlocks these dogs easily. Insert it between the teeth and pry open, no need for guns or scalding water.

9. BMAN

BMAN

Media:
    Albums:
    As a breed advocate, it disheartens me to hear this story. These are the types of owners who bring a bad name to a good breed. I agree that you should report the suspicious activities to the proper authorities and the animal's aggression to animal control. Although this dog may be aggressive and the only real answer would be putting it down, DO NOT take it upon yourself to do so. Unfortunately, since you've made contact with the owner any authorities that show up to question the owner regarding the dog will be instantly blamed on you and for this, there may be ramifications. Be careful and good luck

10. 72FJ40LandCruiser

72FJ40LandCruiser

I agree with this. The fact that they are doing this amidst their kids makes it even worse. I'd call the authorities. Not only do the police need to get involved for the drugs, but social services needs to handle the situation with the kids. They don't need to be raised like that.

11. FirstToy

FirstToy

P, That sucks. I wouldn't take your kids near that dog, it could create lifelong fear of animals if that pitbull goes ape$hit on them.

Is there something that can be done within the condo association? Having a Pitbull lunging at people sounds totally unreasonable and intimidation.

12. dealmaker

dealmaker

J, I'm actually on the HOA board this year. The board will certainly do something if it gets to that point, and our tolerance level at this point with these people is nil. However, I was hoping to resolve the problem at the neighbor level first.

Thanks for the input guys, in a bulk response to alot of your posts:

- I won't harm the pooch nor plan for an early demise unless the dog goes off. If that happens you'll see my response on the national news.

- I like pits too, and agree that it is nowhere near the model living situation nor model owners for the dog. I don't know WTF these people are thinking. It's not in a low-rent neighborhood (FirstToy has seen it, or at least the garage :D ) and crime/break-ins are not an issue so its not like they need the security of the dog. It may be a case of "Hey mom, I want to look cool with my wannabe gangbanger boy/girlfriend, so can I get a pit and stick him on the end of a leash" kinda thing. Since the mom appears more concerned about being a friend than a mother she goes along with it.

- At first I was thinking there was dealing going on there, and it may be, but I think its more like the party pad. "Mom's cool and hardly ever around so let's get lit up at my pad" kind of thing, though I'm certain their using. Last winter some chick got hauled off to the hospital by paramedics at 4:00AM due to a bad esctasy reaction.

- My kids are 5 and 7. They won't comprehend the "don't act scared of it / don't look in its eyes" speech, especially since I already told them I don't want them "near their unit because they have a mean dog." Also, since the place is gated my wife and I have recently started letting them explore around the place on their own (supervised from a distance). Supposedly the dog is still a pup, so I was hoping that if my kids had a chance to meet it a few times and give it some treats maybe a comfort level would be created. Hopefully Eric can offer some input.

- (EDIT) and I have baseball bats at both doors. I'll probably upgrade to a Hawaiian sling this weekend.

Thanks again guys, I'll keep you posted.

13. LabRat11

LabRat11

Well .... regardless if they're dealing or using .... illegal drugs is an element I personally wouldn't around my kids. Call the authorities - they'll sort it out.

14. red dirt squirt

red dirt squirt

15. BMAN

BMAN

Media:
    Albums:
    A friend of mine has decided this week to have her APBT pup put down for temperment. A hard decision to make but the right one unfortunately. This pup started out high strung and hasn't come down. She's about 9 months old right now and has gone after the owner on several occasions and her trainer twice. She got a good hold on the trainers hand last weekend and pretty much sealed her own fate. The breeder has been very supportive and will be providing a new pup from the next whelping. A good breeder and a good owner keeping the breed sound. Sometimes a bad dog is just that... bad. And bad dogs can only lead to bad press.

16. Doc

Doc

Media:
    Albums:
    I whole-heartedly disagree. You may be able to break the grip of his teeth using a stick, but if a dog is 'gums deep' into someone I know the 'need' for a firearm is high.

17. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

I don't know dogs, but it really seems to me that the stick move would not be successful. Wouldn't they just torque to and fro. Thats going to do some harm to your wrists/fingers if you slip up, and I can't see where you find a stable fulcrum.

Please 'splain,

TY

18. 72FJ40LandCruiser

72FJ40LandCruiser

I'd like to see somebody with a pit attached to their arm have enough patiece to grab the stick, hold still long enough to get the stick in the jaws with their other hand, then get the dog to stay still just right so you can get some torque on the stick. If you did get your arm free this way, you'd be in a vulnerable position to have it latch on to another limb--or your neck.

I think some pits are great dogs. I had a guy who worked with me and he'd come in on his days off or what not and have his pit in the back of his truck. I could go up and pet it or whatever I wanted to do, but I never acted scared of it. His owner was always in site also, so I'm sure that's a factor. Some pits would have ripped my hand off. I think they are good-looking and powerful dogs. Even still, I'd never own one. Sure, there's only a few that give them a bad name, but I can't take that chance.

When my brother was a little baby, my dad had a dog that got jealous I guess and nipped at his face. The dog was immediately put down. It was a freakin' BEAGLE! Just proof that it's not always dogs that are perceived to be evil that do bad things like that. I had another beagle growing up and she was the nicest dog I ever had.

19. FLFJ40

FLFJ40

I don't believe all of this crap about pits being good dogs. I will admit up front that I have never owned one, but something does not get that much bad press becuase it is good. My parents raised golden retreivers all of my childhood, must have had 80 puppies, never did one of those dogs grow up to be a biter. This breeder that BMAN speaks of can't say that. I don't think there is any reason to have Pit Bulls in this world. I used to believe the hype that they are all born good and that their owners make them bad, but this thread has tought me that some are born bad and no amount of training can fix that.

"with my own A.P.B.T if some walks into the house and just acts like the dogs not there, he dosen't do anything. but one of my friends is scared of him just because he's a pit, well the dog knows it and screws with him" Come on! How can you argue that this is good behaivor, when a human screwes with people just because they were scared of him, do we say oh thats okay?

I am in full favor of Pit bans, there are hundreds of breeds out there that aren't bread for killing, why not choose them?

20. FLFJ40

FLFJ40

BTW I also hate chows, no need for them either.