Piston Rings (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

890man

SILVER Star
Threads
How long does it take to break in a new set of rings? After breaking a piston I have decided to replace the one piston and all of the rings. The motor had a fresh rebuild and only 37000 on the clock. I can still see the cross hatch from the honeing (sp). These rings are not chromed. Will I have any problems breaking these in? I saw some posts of people not recomending new rings in an old block. Saw some who dont have a problem either. I had planned on using 30wt. Can I pre oil by spinning the motor with the starter and no plugs.

I have motor assembly lube for the bearings but should I pull the lifters and put some on the cam too. I am not doing anything to thoes. Does this stuff go on any moving part like pushrods and rockers too?

What about the con rod caps, do these nuts need locktite on them? The FSM says to pin them but there are no holes and never were.

Thanks for the help. Its my first time doing this.

Assembly lube is just that - used during assembly. If you havn't disassembled it, there should still be an oil film there so it's not needed.
Best pre oil is pull dissy and use screwdriver bit in a drill.
Loctite the conrod nuts.
Give the bore a light hone before fitting new rings.

So just a long screwdriver bit will do?
What about a hone that size? Does an autoparts store have one that large? Do you just use some light oil for lube. I have done brake cylinders this way, is it the same thing?

890man said:
So just a long screwdriver bit will do?
What about a hone that size? Does an autoparts store have one that large? Do you just use some light oil for lube. I have done brake cylinders this way, is it the same thing?

SCrewdriver bit works fine. Really need a drill to get the pump speed up correctly - it's hard work by hand!

Autoparts will sell large hones. You'll need a BIG one - make sure it will do a 4" bore. Yes a bit of light oil, clean down well afterwards.

put some rags over the crank (I assume it's still in place?) to prevent contamination.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. I just picked up a deglazing tool (large hone) today. I will start on it tonight. I am really worried about contamination on the crank and bearings. Lots and lots of cleaning!

with the crank turned to the correct angle couldn't you hit it with a hone from the bottom? so you turn the engine upside down and hit it from the bottem end. Just feed the hone from the top of the engine to get your drill on it. This way all the fillings fall on the ground insted of at your bearings. I'm not sure how tight they fit, I havn't done much in the way of torn down engine work.
Just a thought, I have no idea if it is legit or not

Yea, good idea. How do I get the truck turned over, the motor is still in it. :D

I do like the idea of turning the crank to get it out of the way. I did notice some crud on them already from the gasket cleaning.

890man said:
Yea, good idea. How do I get the truck turned over, the motor is still in it. :D

Woody can show you how....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom