Piston / Cylinder clearance - 2F - is 0.004 too much? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

And now the block is out and stripped. Look what I found...

I remember stamping it now, 18 years ago - maybe it just wore out. I don't remember doin that many miles but my memory is fading.
Off to the machine shop Monday. I'm gonna try to sneak by with a new set of 1.00 OS pistons, the new (to me) crank & matching bearings. cam bearings, pump, etc.

I think the cylinders will clean up with a light hone, not even a ridge at the top.
I will bore gauge them this weekend - I pretty sure they're all in limits.

Stamp will read "Refresh @ 1.00 OVER, XXJUL20" underneath, soon I hope.

20200703_182338.jpg

Sorry Dizzy, don't follow, don't know them. I did the rebuild in '02. I think it was San Juan Engine did the machining,
Micky at the machine shop here in Farmington will turn the crank this time and I'll do it again.
I'm using ITM domes this time which look a little different from what's in there now. Wish I could find the receipts, I know they're around somewhere.

They are the reported go-to for Land Cruiser engines in Albuquerque.

Do you have an image of the loose crank key and harmonic balancer? I have a motor on my driveway that has much pulley play.

I'll shoot you some tomorrow. I have the bad one and a really good stock one. Interestingly enough, I think my original was mucked up when i got it. Keys weren't correct. You'll see what I mean when you see the pictures.

The good, the bad and the ugly....

20200704_061419.jpg
b
20200704_061422.jpg

New balancer vs. old...

20200704_061447.jpg
20200704_061531.jpg

Attachments

• mahle_engine-bearing-failures-brochure.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 67
UPDATE -

Well, we're gonna stay with the 1.00 mm over; not rebore to 1.50. That should give a heavy .002 piston/cylinder clearance with the new ITM cast domed pistons, which my machinist says is good. I have measured the bore and mic'ed three times now. I'm happy with it. The original forged 1.00mm over pistons were from Manefre (I think, way back in 2002) and they didn't seem to hold up well. Mic far under the 95 mm spec). The ITM casts are spot on going in.

New cam (Mellings 308), lifters, oil pump, polished std. crank. Waiting on delivery of Clevite main and rod bearing (hopefully soon). Just finished rebuilding the transfer (needed a new high gear and sleeve, output shaft was good; this baby is tight now), in the middle of rebuilding the 4-speed while I wait on bearing. I'll install the new cam bearings tonight.

This truck will have a whole new drive line by the time I'm done - whew. Only thing left is the drive shaft ( which has new greaseable u-joints from the locker install a couple of year ago, they're tight).
Don't know if anyone cares, but I'll post some pics in my album when I finish up.

Can't wait to finish this- I just wanna drive this thing! I'm missing all the wheeling here in the four corners.

Oh - how to move your block to the machine shop (lol). Pipe is wrapped with duct tape to protect journals. Don't mind the chain - it just looks bad.

20200710_113754.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom