Builds Pippy's 97 CE Build Thread (Now with TURBO) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

3 year update!
I'm actually making progress. You ever think about settlers striking out on the Oregon trail? By the time they get where they're going so many people die or are born along the way it's a different group of people who arrive than the one's who started. That's how I feel on this project anyway.

I had a nice break for the holidays and my kid is old enough now to keep himself busy so to the garage I went and I'm happy to say progress has been made.

Got the oil pans on and started the head instaledl. I used hylomar the help with the minor pitting on the block. It is very hard to find but it seems to be good stuff. coated the block, and the gasket both sides.

VjkjKUq.jpg

Head on.. apply directly to the forehead.
zBlkoV0.jpg

Valve cover painted with VHT Wrinkle Plus. after hours of degreasing and cleaning.

oqsoJrP.jpg

Closer...
L5yUg1J.jpg

Trying to remember how this thing goes togerther. Got it done without too much drama.
A0z180K.jpg

Brand new harness and some extra insurance agains the egr pipe.

7HYT1Yw.jpg

65Ys3VN.jpg

HmPFyx5.jpg

Starting to run out of parts!

Youre looking close, its got to be rewarding jumping back in and making some progress. I have '71 240z just sitting in my garage, havent worked on it in 4 years so I know how hard it is to get back in the saddle

It is rewarding! Hardest part is finding all the little bits and pieces scattered around in various boxes. I spent a full hour trying to find the little tab the the engine harness mounts to. Surprise... It was on the old engine harness (duh). Combine that with scrubbing and degreasing every last piece including screws and bolts and it's slow going. Nice chance to get some quiet time though!

Welp. I'm out of parts. Here she is, ready to go back in. But not before I clean the crap out of the engine bay. I ordered about $600 worth of rubber to replace every single stinkin hose, belt, etc inside the engine bay.
rL0dDxU.jpg
loMhXnV.jpg

Also, I realized I didn't show off the finished product of what set me back 3 years.
before:
0f0pZ59.jpg

After:

Next step is cleaning the crap out of the engine bay. The kid who owned this prior to me must have sunk it up to the doors in mud. I put a sprinkler unter it over the summer and got a ton out from under but it's still a mess. Going to get after it and start getting it back in!

Not too sure about the ground wires but maybe to the bolt that holds the bracket used to lift the engine that is in the top photo in your post above? The blue thing is the VSV for EGR I think. Here is a link to a thread that I did back when taking care of a P0401 several years ago that has quite a few photos of the vacuum hoses etc that may help you figure out the hose you are missing somewhere about halfway down the 1st page PO401 and EGR/air intake manifold with pictures

2B4D2AF9-2A00-40B2-BE82-8FCC21B7151A.jpeg

1C219915-826F-4512-B465-74893ADE8DD9.jpeg

belts on, exhaust on, fan and air box cleaned up, intake tube restored with a product from Eastman that’s pretty good actually, and crank bolt TWERKED. I used a m8-1.25 bolt in the crank pulley chained to the frame to hold the pulley still, and then pulled like hell on the ginourmous harbor freight torque wrench I bought and will never use again. Worked pretty good.

Next up (after my strained lumbar disc calms down from torqueing the crank) is flywheel bolts, starter, radiator, trans cooler, fluids, and hopefully FIRST START! Stay tuned.

First start was scheduled for Friday. No dice.

After some investigation I determined there was no fuel getting to the engine. I was able to trace power all the way back to the fuel pump, and them pulled the pump to have a look. This is what I found:

CDAE5EBA-865F-41E8-8249-053F1B7EB2F8.jpeg

pump was completely buggered, and the tank was very rusty. Guess it won’t be starting this weekend.
8B17F82C-EC5F-49CA-B6FB-42138871913F.jpeg

So I got started wrestling this big stubborn bastard out from under the truck. Drained the tank and all the bolts came out without much trouble. The amount of mud caked on every surface of the truck is just ridiculous, even after power washing the underside prior to starting this project. Got it out with a little bit of patience and lots of swearing.

E4C69ABC-1A56-4EF8-B23D-88A4F254D9D2.jpeg

And after an hour with the pressure washer and a couple beers it cleaned up pretty good.

7F7CB0C6-861D-47E2-A57F-E722766B3C96.jpeg

Next step is to evaporust the tank and coat it while waiting for a new used fuel pump assembly.

After a week full of evaporust followed by a thorough cleaning with the pressure washer and additional degreasing and derusting using the kbs tank coating kit here she sits. There’s still some stubborn spots but it’s a big improvement. Debating whether to use the coating or just run it as is. I’m afraid of the coating flaking in there areas I couldn’t get the rust off, but then again I sure don’t ever want to do this again.
A9A99BE8-F4ED-473E-8465-414D75517397.jpeg

FA979C61-BAB3-47E2-8E8F-4065C9D53190.jpeg

Last edited:
I decided not to use the coating out of fear of it flaking off. With all the baffles in this giant tank I wasn’t confident that I could properly prep all surfaces, so with the tank now completely rust free and a new water pump assembly and new filler/hoses I stuffed it back in. First start!

Last edited:
Today she moved under her own power for the first time in years. Spent some time cleaning her up. Got a lot of work to do to get it looking nice. When I got the house painted the lc was in the driveway and got overspray on it. Clay bar is working but takes some elbow grease. Big moment today.
Dirty
54FCA705-BBA9-454C-A44C-1858C187CF18.jpeg

lots of crap under the front cowl.

CB34003D-4954-4F4F-AD8A-47B6C7FFA8A8.jpeg

getting clean but the paint needs a lot of work.

Steering wheel done. Custom kit from Loncky, took a while to arrive due to corona.

one day I’ll learn to take before pictures. suffice it to say it was a mess.

started bydrilling small holes and filling with gorilla glue to rebond the foam to the metal frame. Worked very well.
9586A60A-B2C3-49C3-B107-760ACC97C344.jpeg

Then stitched the leather per the instructions. Color is not a great match but it’s good enough. Definite improvement.

A2175151-4C33-4F08-A3AD-35CBFEDACD86.jpeg

B55E4B2D-DB25-41EA-82F1-9CEB46F14A2D.jpeg

Now that this epic frustrating saga of getting it to run right after a clogged fuel filter, I’m finally ready for fun stuff!

more on that here:
:bang::bang::bang:

in my garage I have:
5 x 35” toyo open country mt tires
4 ome J springs, long travel shocks, and maf drop brackets.
One dorkle
One 12000lb winch
One arb deluxe bull bar
One borgwarner efr7076 TURBOCHARGER

things are about to get much more interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom