Pipe Dreaming: Diesel FJc (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
yeah its a bit of a stretch but i'm interested in a TD for the FJc i bought. i know the Parado comes with the 3.0L but frankly the 4.2L is vastly more desirable to me. any ideas of what kind of issues i'd face with either one of these? i assume the 3.0L should bolt in directly with little problems... futhermore anyone know where i can find some specs on both motors that show output in Hp and Ft-Lb... i'm not familiar with the Aussie ratings

( edit: ) i just realised the HZJ105 is an inline 6 and i highly doubt that will fit.... does yota make a v6 diesel?

Last edited:
yeah its a bit of a stretch but i'm interested in a TD for the FJc i bought. i know the Parado comes with the 3.0L but frankly the 4.2L is vastly more desirable to me. any ideas of what kind of issues i'd face with either one of these? i assume the 3.0L should bolt in directly with little problems... futhermore anyone know where i can find some specs on both motors that show output in Hp and Ft-Lb... i'm not familiar with the Aussie ratings

( edit: ) i just realised the HZJ105 is an inline 6 and i highly doubt that will fit.... does yota make a v6 diesel?

the d4d series engines should pretty much bolt in. you'll need a complete donor-truck, since there are a lot of electronics to deal with.
not worth it for the FJC, I think. certainly the cool factor is high, but it'll be very expensive.

Would be a great mod, but you would need another 2007 donor vehicle and its parts....$$$ did yah win the lottery lately :)

I do not think in most states or provinces you can install an older engine than the vehicle legally.

As the FJ cruiser is supposed to have the same floor as a Prado I wonder if you could fit the factory dual tanks like the diesels have?
I think my brother's holds 150 litres all up.
Gives him 1200+ klms

all of your options make way less hp than your 4.0 ... 240 right?

I'm a diesel man myself but these engines make way less ponies:

3.0 D4D (new hilux, vigo, fortuner)1KD-FTV is ~165hp DI Common Rail TDI with a top mounted intercooler and variable geometry ball bearing turbo ... blowing on a 4 banger ... it can be chipped and tuned but bolt on parts sources are limited... lots of wires to run also.

3.0 KZ-TE 130hp 4 cyl turbo intercooler, not sure but I think also DI

Both of these should fit..

Then the 6 cyl H series family engines

4.2 1HZ ~ IDI plain ole' oil burner does ~130hp

4.2 1HD-T DI TD 165hp can be tuned and intercooled to get you around 200 hp

4.2 1HD-FT later variation of 1HD-T but with a 24 valve head, gets you an extra 5 ponnies than the 12v :bounce: yippie! :rolleyes:

4.2 1HD-FTE Im not sure on these numbers but somewhere around ~205 hp ... and you can guess what the "E" stands for...:hillbilly: eeelectrooonic

theres also a new 4.5 V8, Toyotas first diesel 8 ... I cant remember the numbers but they are quite dissapointing...

theres talk about another V8 thats supposed to be basically made up of two D4D heads... know I've had driven the D4D 3.0, and that engine is pretty amazing ... can't imagine two of them together!

which tranny do you plan to mate with the engine?

all of your options make way less hp than your 4.0 ... 240 right?

I'm a diesel man myself but these engines make way less ponies:

3.0 D4D (new hilux, vigo, fortuner)1KD-FTV is ~165hp DI Common Rail TDI with a top mounted intercooler and variable geometry ball bearing turbo ... blowing on a 4 banger ... it can be chipped and tuned but bolt on parts sources are limited... lots of wires to run also.

3.0 KZ-TE 130hp 4 cyl turbo intercooler, not sure but I think also DI

Both of these should fit..

Then the 6 cyl H series family engines

4.2 1HZ ~ IDI plain ole' oil burner does ~130hp

4.2 1HD-T DI TD 165hp can be tuned and intercooled to get you around 200 hp

4.2 1HD-FT later variation of 1HD-T but with a 24 valve head, gets you an extra 5 ponnies than the 12v :bounce: yippie! :rolleyes:

4.2 1HD-FTE Im not sure on these numbers but somewhere around ~205 hp ... and you can guess what the "E" stands for...:hillbilly: eeelectrooonic

theres also a new 4.5 V8, Toyotas first diesel 8 ... I cant remember the numbers but they are quite dissapointing...

theres talk about another V8 thats supposed to be basically made up of two D4D heads... know I've had driven the D4D 3.0, and that engine is pretty amazing ... can't imagine two of them together!

which tranny do you plan to mate with the engine?

well its the torque that i'm interested in as far as power... but at first blush the rundown you gave is quite depressing. tbh i was hoping to either find a bolt in solution that would provide ~400ft-lb or a motor/tranny that could do the same. as i said its kinda pipe dreaming... the realities (read legalities) would mean that it'd have to be a trailered trail rig and that would mean that i'd have needed to win the lottery recently and as i dont play... my chances of winning arent good.

on the flip side my chances of winning are only very slightly worse than those that do play :D

As the FJ cruiser is supposed to have the same floor as a Prado I wonder if you could fit the factory dual tanks like the diesels have?
I think my brother's holds 150 litres all up.
Gives him 1200+ klms

this is somthing i hadnt thought of but IIRC theres a pretty good chunk of open space on the passenger (think LHD) side that could ostensibly be the mounting position for it. that is actually a really good idea. i'd prolly invest in that (assuming i could safely keep Gasoline in a Diesel tank...i cant really think of why not)

well its the torque that i'm interested in as far as power... but at first blush the rundown you gave is quite depressing. tbh i was hoping to either find a bolt in solution that would provide ~400ft-lb or a motor/tranny that could do the same. as i said its kinda pipe dreaming... the realities (read legalities) would mean that it'd have to be a trailered trail rig and that would mean that i'd have needed to win the lottery recently and as i dont play... my chances of winning arent good.

on the flip side my chances of winning are only very slightly worse than those that do play :D
There is no tyre screeching output in any Toyota diesel. Still ,most of us like their other qualities.
My brother has a 2000 diesel prado and he clocks over a 1000klms a week in it and he reckons its great.

this is somthing i hadnt thought of but IIRC theres a pretty good chunk of open space on the passenger (think LHD) side that could ostensibly be the mounting position for it. that is actually a really good idea. i'd prolly invest in that (assuming i could safely keep Gasoline in a Diesel tank...i cant really think of why not)

On the older models there is no difference in the tanks that I can see. Diesels usually have one less fuel line;)

Toyota diesels numbers dont look great on paper but even the 3.0 4pot is great to live with, real snappy.
The FT is lame stock but i`m pullin more than your 4.0, 4wd power slides in the wet :eek:

I've put some hours behind the wheel in an 06 4dr Prado, I'd guess that the 4dr is probably pretty close in size & weight to an FJC. I don't recall off the top of my head if it has the d4d or the 3.0 kzte, but either way... it is peppy. Not "throw you back in your seat", but it does pick up well and has good throttle response.

Same story on the 06 4runner. It drives well.

I haven't tried either with a manual tranny, but assume that it would be equally pleasant to drive. Best part: in the 'runner at least I know it was getting between 11 and 14 liters/100km, which works out to something like 16 to 22 mpg-- that was in 4wd, on gravel/mud roads that were in rough shape, so lots of braking and lots of accelerating

something to keep in mind with all diesels, the numbers on paper arent so impressive, but they feel about 30% more powerful than the paper says.

An intercooled 1HDT would put out close to 400 ft lbs but as has been said most countries won't allow you to put an older engine into a newer vehicle.

my freshly rebuilt 1hz with a td0516g from a lancer evolution 3 strapped to the side of it just rolled off 171kw @ wheels and 509Nm of torque which works out to be off the top of my head about 260-270hp and 450 off ft-lb.

On the dyno at the shop that built it...

FJ cruiser = Prado = 1KZ.

Its the only late model Toyota diesel that will fit and to have any chance of being legal it will have to 2000-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom