Pioneer Rack Fail (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys,
I'm posting this so that maybe someone else can learn from my situation and have a little more knowledge going into a roof rack purchase than I did.

- wanted to purchase a large Rhino Rack Pioneer platform for my LC 2006
- searched dealers on Rhino Rack website and called a few
- dealers had never heard of Rhino Rack and couldn't help me
- asked Rhino Rack specifically for recommendation for a U.S. dealer
- called 2-3 of the recommended dealers and those dealers didn't know anything about Rhino
- so I went with one of the big online dealers that sells multiple aftermarket roof rack, they seemed confident
- but in the end they sent me an incomplete kit and had limited knowledge on installation
- Rhino Rack is very understaffed and many of their dealers don't know much about their products.

so the point of this is, you are on your own and better know your stuff and do your detailed research in advance. I'm posting here to provide knowledge so someone can avoid the frustration and long-winded process I'm in .

Here is everything I've learned on these Pioneer Racks:
1) don't be in a rush to get it installed because it's a slow process. I ordered from Rack Outfitters on March 16th but I still don't have all the parts and they have limited knowledge on these roof racks. They are a transaction based company not a customer service based company
2) I went with the 84inch X 49inch unassembled
- the 56 inch wide version sticks out a bit on the sides but the 49 inch wide version seems to follow the lines of the LC 100 the best
3) if you are using the RLCP02 heavy legs with the narrower 49 inch wide rack, it doesn't fit and no one will tell you this up front. You need 3X of part #QMPS10 to fit the narrower platform to your legs
4) these pioneer platforms look great in the photos but there are lots of plastic parts, especially in the corners unions.
5) the assembly and fitment instructions leave a lot to be desired and assembly is frustrating and the instructions are very incomplete.
6) each of the RLCP02 legs requires 2 attachment points for screws. NOTE: the front RLCP02 legs don't line up with both screws after removing the factory rack. This is not listed in the LC100 fitment instructions from RR. The LC has 4 sets of double-screw mounting points on each side. Just behind the front factory rack attachment point you will find some additional hidden screws under the trim. These do line up with the front legs screw pattern. You have to dremel around these and do a custom cut on the trim for a clean install. Major pain and would have been great to know this up front. Don't forget to put some silicon around the base of factory screws (unused farthest forward mounting points) to protect the threads on the unused forward double screws.
7) its important to know the spacing of the horizontal bars. My LC 2006 has a wind deflector/spoiler and you have to measure 53mm and drill holes in the rack (53mm back from the recommended spacing) while it is upside down in order to make room for the rear hatch/spoiler. The fitment instructions are incorrect and don't show correct spacing or accurate drill locations. Don't make the mistake of drilling based on the Rhino Rack fitment instructions. It is incorrect. It is best to have 2-3 people help lift the rack over the vehicle...one on each side while the 3rd person lines up the horizontal bars over the RLCP02 legs and makes precise marks and measurements. Then remove the rack and drill based on these measurements. Again, don't follow the fitment instructions. They are incorrect and will leave you with incorrect holes compromising your rack

I went with this pioneer rack for modularity and what I thought was a turn-key easy install and solid design.
If I had known all this up front I would have taken a hard look at other options. It's way overpriced considering the build quality and way overpriced considering confusion with installation based on the literature RR puts out there.

Knowledge is power and now you guys know!
I would have loved to know this info up front and hope it will help someone else.

I'll post back here once I receive final parts and installation is complete. Pioneer platform might be for sale if anyone is interested. I'm still on the fence on this one

Last edited:
maybe someone from Rhino Rack engineering or customer support could follow up here if they are reading

here are the recommended fitment instructions for the pioneer rack/Landcruiser provided to me by the dealer
here are the recommended fitment instructions for the pioneer rack/landcruiser I've located on the RR website
**both are incorrect**
- would be great if this was updated for the 84 inch version (only lists the 76 inch version) model #42107BF
- the hole spacing isn't correct
- you guys will continue to have fitment issues until these documents are correct with accurate visual hole spacing.

I spent $1600 on this Pioneer Rack from rackoutfitters.com in Austin TX March 7th (over 3 weeks ago) and still haven't received all the correct parts to complete the kit. And for some reason they aren't responding back to me.

Does anyone know of another dealer that stocks Rhino Rack parts and can help me complete this order. I've had a difficult time finding dealers who know this RR system.

If you are Rhino Rack dealer and want to PM me, it would mean a lot to me. Or if anyone can make a recommendation. I just need a few simple parts to complete this order.

Last edited:
I went with a dealer and thought it would be easy. It wasn't (ordered March 7th and its been over 3 weeks and my kit is still incomplete)

But the original problem was that Rhino Rack didn't have all the parts in stock. The dealer did. RR is experiencing some delays because of the new legs they just rolled out.

If I had to do it again, I would definitely order from Rhino direct...even if its MFSRP.

I was sent the wrong install instructions by the dealer. It looks like RR updated their website with the correct instructions.

Purpose of this thread is to help someone who might be in the same situation as me in the future.

Last edited:
but there are still issues with these instructions as it relates to the LC and I would reference this thread to help avoid pain

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom