Pinon seal leaking, is this the cause/normal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Seems like a lot of slop play, though none evident with the driveshaft installed.

Yes, I was planning on the quick and dirty "count the threads" method of replacement just to get it back on the road for occasional use over the next few months till it's a wee bit warmer and I can knock out a bunch of other, higher priority projects, off the list.

Thanks!

without the flange installed for preload, yes that is normal.

Alright, so with the flange, there was zero movement (well, rotational with a little 'slop' before gear engagement). Guess I'll get that seal area cleaned up and put the new back in. Thanks for the quick reply.

Sorry, I'm a motorcycle guy, I know chain and sprockets. :)

The seal just looks old. With the flange removed the shaft will move around. Was there play before you removed the flange as that can cause seal failure. If there was no previous movement replace the seal and retorque the nut.

Don't retorque the nut. As you stated, count the threads. Re-torquing the nut will further compress the crush washer and pre-load will be too much on the pinion bearing and if that happens, diff has to come out to replace crush washer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom