Pinion Pre Load (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have search quite a bit on this, but i'm still unclear. On my rear pinion should I just torque the nut tight and then check the bearing preload and make sure it is about 11 in/lbs. I do not have a reference of the preload before the nut came off. I have no way to check the pinion nut torque. My torque wrench only goes to 75ft-lbs and not all the way to 150. I tightend the nut a good bit back to the spot it was originally staked. the preload seems good there. I'm borrowing a in-lbs torque wrench to check it tonight. Is the right thing to do? I dont want to mess up a 100000 mi pinion.

Have you had your 3rd member out? Do you have a crush sleeve or solid spacer? Did you do any work on your third? Need some more info..

You can tweak the crush sleeve and have chronic pinion issues, leaking, nut coming loose, gear damage.

I torque pinion nuts down to 160lbs with red loctite and staking the nut.

long story, I installed a aussie locker and misread the directions of taking the pinion pin out. oops!!!! I replaced the seal while I was there. i just want to put it back together without grenading it.

can I torque the pinion nut down until I get 11 in-lbs pinion preload????

If that is the case get a big boy torque wrench and torque it down to 160. Measure the pre-load. If all is good back it off..loctite, re-torque, test again, stake it. Wheel it.

Just torque it down with a impact wrench, it proale dosen't have a crush sleve, if it still turns your fine as long as you haven't changed anything that relates to the bearings, you can't check the preload with the Ring gear in you will have the preload of those bearings as well, together they should be 25 inch pounds or less, with the axles out, HTH Larry

I thought you could check the preload with the third in. just check the pinion until it begins to turn there is some backlash between the ring and pinion?

Just torque it down with a impact wrench, it proale dosen't have a crush sleve, if it still turns your fine as long as you haven't changed anything that relates to the bearings, you can't check the preload with the Ring gear in you will have the preload of those bearings as well, together they should be 25 inch pounds or less, with the axles out, HTH Larry

Why wouldn't he have a crush sleeve?

I thought you could check the preload with the third in?

You can, but you are just guessing whether it is OK.

The spec is for just the pinion without the axles, carrier and seal. If want to check with everything assembled, it is just guessing, unless you know what the overall torque was before you took the nut off. If it turns easily by fingers after torquing the big nut to 150 ftlbs, you are probably OK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom