pinion nut is a bear! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trying to remove the front pinion nut to replace the seal. Ground off the staked area of the nut. Nut still won't budge. What's the trick?

use handle to hi-lift over breaker bar with 1/2 drive and stand on the end and jump , works every time . The first time I had to use a 4 ' piece of pipe cause the jack handle was not quit enough..

Lots of friggin torque!!!

Get yourself a 3' breaker bar and grunt it out...

Also, lemme tell you from experience, if the seal is leaking, there is a reason.

Pull your slinger and bearing and check your shims. Also, measure your preload before you put the new seal in...

Don't ask me how I know...

:rolleyes:

it is loud when it breaks loose and FYI my impact at 150 lbs of air with impact maxed would not touch it...

What's the best way to apply counter-torque... bolts in the flange bolt holes?

air

just tore my other third down and wait'n on a seal to put it back together.. :D

and if 1/2 won't do it break out the 3/4 drive :D

672FJ40 said:
What's the best way to apply counter-torque... bolts in the flange bolt holes?

BEST way???

Make a tool to hold the companion flange, just like what is shown in the FSM....

I have made them, and they work GREAT!

peesalot said:
it is loud when it breaks loose and FYI my impact at 150 lbs of air with impact maxed would not touch it...

You should have that gun checked out....or start feeding it with .750" hose instead of .250... ;)

Good luck!

-Steve

This is what I am talking about....

I made this one up to hold the 1350 CV companion flange for my Atlas that Jessie sent me so that I could install one of his AWSOME 1350 CV drive shafts....

DSCN0014-640.jpg

SK04-05-01.jpg

pulled three pinion flanges today at work.

2 seconds with the impact and a 30mm socket. Grabbed the flange with my bare hands. Was using the s***ty impact too.

:confused:

to remove, i've always used air...best way to take em off.

to put them on, i've got a chunk of bar stock with two bolts pressed into them that bolt to the flange to hold the flange while i torque. not quite as cool as the tcase puller that i made from an old bed frame for romer's cruiser, but still a cool tool

Impacts vary a lot. Find someone who's got one rated at 350 ft. lbs or more. The IR that is probably the most common on earth only makes 250 ft. lbs. when it's fed right. My good gun with 450 ft lbs. takes that nut so easily that I've gotta' be sure to catch the nut or it'll get flung across the shop.

Buy yourself a decent impact. Not the cheapy 39.00 harbor freight special. I'd recommend IR.

after reading the post right before yours, charles, i wouldn't buy ir. :D

fwiw, my cheapy harbor freight one has worked just fine for 5 years now.

Thanks for all the replies. I have a friend that has a Titanium IR I can borrow. Mine is a 250 ft-lb harbor frieght cheapie. I'm on a roll to get r done.. Thanks. :idea:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom