pinion flange question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just finished putting a torsen lsd in the front of my 62, the hitch is that it came in a course spline third out of a '77 40. I now have to figure out how to make it work with my 62 driveshaft. My thoughts are:

-call kurt and see if he sells course spline flanges with a 62 pattern (who else sells course spline flanges)
-center the 62 shaft over the flange on the third, drill the new pattern, then turn the holes into slots. I figure that since the ring on the driveshaft seats into the pinion flange that as long as i can keep the bolts tight as far as side to side play then it should be fine.
-swap a 40 slip yoke into my 62 driveshaft

So, what are your opinions. Im looking for as cheap as possible without being too afro-engineered.

-Matt

i dont remember the details but i have a 62 d shaft in my 70 with 4 speed i put the 4 speed flange on the 62 shaft and bolted it in did not cut or weld . i spent the day trying parts off the shelf all landcruiser parts of course and it fit and has been there 2years no trouble .the shaft was even the right lenght for my soa i think either flange fits the ujoint just not sure hope im making some sense here good luck

I don't have course spline pinion flanges that are pre-drilled for the 62 (not too many folks going that direction). BUT, I have course spline large OD round flanges that have plenty of room for a second (or third) pattern to be drilled. Easy enough...

The problem with redrilling the OEM rectangle flanges is you run the risk of tearing the ears off... I have seen plenty of destroyed flanges as such.

Thanks for the info kurt, ill be giving you a call this afternoon.

swap to a 40 slipshaft

I dont know which i would prefer, to keep the stock flange and switch slipshafts or put a new flange on. Someone mentioned to me that the joint might be smaller on the 40 slipshaft. At this point it would probably be more expensive to buy someones spare 40 shaft than to just get a new flange.....

Either new round flange or the slipp joint, it is basicaly the same.

The smaller U joint will not be an issue as far as strength..

swap the yoke its to easy good advice though evan though its not my post thanks for the tip

by changing the yoke do you put the d shaft in backwards didnt see that mentioned thanks

swap the yoke its to easy good advice though evan though its not my post thanks for the tip

Its way too early to be that drunk.....

I think im just gonna get a round flange and drill it. Thanks for all the info everybody.

just for fun i went to the garage the 40 slip yoke fits the 60 /62 shaft turn the d shaft around and it bolts right in .however the 62 shaft i have has 2" more slip than the 40 slip shaft thats why i changed yokes so i didnt lose the extra travel sounds like maybey the redrilled flange your using is the way to go good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom