1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pinion bearing spacer part #???

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by bjowett, Feb 5, 2004.

1. bjowett

bjowett Supporting Vendor

Just received my 4.88 Precision Gears (amongst other yummy items), set up time! Does anyone have the part # handy for the cast spacer and shims for the pinion bearing preload. I dislike the one shot crush sleeves for various reasons, real or imagined. :flipoff2: My FSM shows the crush sleeve, so I'm sure the dealer's computer shows the crush sleeve... rather than look through various superceded to crush sleeves and such, I figured someone on here must have the numbers... I know I've purchased the 'superceded' cast spacer and shim set for the 8" pinions in the past and used them on V6 and high pinion 80 series front diffs, will the older 9.xx" spacer and shim set fit the newer 80 series rear diff? Thanks for any help!

2. Chris_Geiger

Chris_Geiger

Marlin Crawler sells them for $25 each including shims...

3. bjowett

Thanks, Chris.

I have all the part numbers for spacers and shims, front and back, if anyone else would like them..... :banana:

4. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Set up a high-pinion 8" last weekend, and the solid cast Toyota spacer from the pre-81 8" diffs, did not fit the pinion on the 4.88 Yukon gear set.

Bjowett-

Post the part numbers!!

Thanks!

-Steve

5. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    I'm curious,

The factory uses crush sleeves. Toyota usually does things for good reason. Why would you prefer a spacer and shims? Please don't get me wrong, I'm not condeming your procedure. I am interested to know why you would want to put it togther in that manner. Is there some benefit that is not evident to my Keystone-altered 46 year old brain?

6. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Crush sleeves have collapsed under extreme load, causing all sorts of fun things to happen in the diff, in many applications, not just Toyota. I am pretty sure that Toyota uses the crush sleeve to decrease the set up time involved at the factory.

Good luck!

-Steve

7. bjowett

There are only a few things I can think of that 'appear' to be concrete... should a damaged flange or leaky pinion seal be in need of replacment, the spacer and shims will get me back to the same preload everytime I need to R&R, eyes closed on a dark muddy trail even. Not that it will ever happen, but if does... Second, should preload on the pinion bearings drop out of spec due to wear or whatever, the inner race on the outer pinion bearing has the potential to spin on the pinion gear shaft. So, even if the gears have yet to grenade the teeth even slightly, the spun bearing could place the diameter of the shaft out of spec... now a new gear set may be required. As many have said before, I like to build to that .01%.

Part # I won't verify these will work for any/all applications. Feel free to ad if something is wrong!

spacers

41231 39010 79/01 - 83/07 8" gear, spacer, front pinion shaft
    still looking for the number 9.x" gear, spacer, rear pinion shaft

There are 4 other sizes for the 41344, all within 1mm? maybe so shims don't need to be used?

shims for adjustment, fit both 8" and 9" pinion
    90564 30035 .23 - .27
    90564 30063 .43 - .47
    90564 30193 .28 - .32
    90564 30194 .33 - .37
    90564 30195 .38 - .42

8. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    OK gentlemen, I see where you are coming from.

IIRC, the 41231-39010 is a first generation mini truck spacer. I do not recognize the 41344-35010 off the top of my head. As the price book is 1900 odd pages long I miss a few here and there :rolleyes:

9. bjowett

The 41344 35010 is the WRONG number for the 9" drive pinion spacer... that is the number for the differential pinion shaft spacer (the spider gears ride on). I will post the proper number when I get it.

10. Beowulf

Beowulf

Brian,
    You can go back and modify your own posts. I strongly recommend you do that whenever you post wrong information. A year from now someone might not get down to the bottom of the thread where you add the correct number.
    -B-

11. alia176

alia176

Albums:
    Solid spacers are popular with high load on/off application, such as circle track racers. Since they stomp on/off the gas pedals so much, a crush sleeve would get more crushed in a single race. Their driveshaft goes through hellaceous amount of shock loads in a single race. Brian's reasoning does make sense to me, strangely enough!

My question is, how do you know the thickness of the sleeve you'll need for your diffs? With a crush sleeve and shims, you keep crushing until the in-lb reading of turning the pinion is achieved. Also, remind me Brian, what tire size you're planning on running with the 4.88s? And, where and how much? I'll be doing the same thing this winter and I was thinking of purchasing them from Reider Racing.

Thanks.

12. Rich

Rich

Rick, If the axle is currently set up correctly can you not measure the existing crush sleeve in order to get the measurments for a replacement spacer?

13. landtank

landtank SILVER Star

When it comes to the diffs I know what needs to be done but have no experience with it. This is one of those things that I'd like to lewrn how to do but don't know anyone who could teach me.

The main reason for this was that during the axle job I was going to replace the diff/axle gasket as it was leaking several months ago. Well the leak stopped and I decided to not pull the diff today and deal with it another time. Mainly because I spotted a coolant leak last night parking the truck in the garage and that has jumped to the head of the todo list.

14. bjowett

The spacers use shims to adjust the bearing preload, remove or add shims to obtain the proper turn reading. I currently run 36/12.5R16 Swampers. Where and how much ???? lift???

15. alia176

alia176

Albums:
    Brian,

Where did you purchase the gears from and how much were they?

Regarding the solid spacers, the procedure for setting the bearing pre-load is the same as a crush sleeve....interesting.

thanks for the info.

Ali

16. montocr

montocr

solid preload spacer

ring-pinion.com

The solid spacer for the minitruck v6 diff also suits 8" reverse. There is no solid spacer for the rear 9.5. Some older design gears have a step machined into the pinion shaft that you place the shims on.