Pinion Bearing replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks.

Nope, but I am watching this thread becasue it is on the short list of repairs this winter.

yep, when I rebuild ring and pinion. I always replace the pinion bearings. Press on , press off!

Thanks a bunch!

I second ZUK's site. Notice that he torques the snot out of the carrier bearing preload, much more than the factory instructions call for. While 100 ft.-lbs. (!!!) strikes me as a little over the top, I do know there was a run of otherwise perfectly good elocker thirds from the factory that blew the R&P (4.10s, even!) for no good reason other than, perhaps, loss of carrier bearing preload FAIK.

I also know that ZUK runs 5.71s with no failures, while other guys carp about how weak even 5.29s are, especially on Pirate.

My personal, frankly novice opinion: too much preload will just increase tapered roller wear, done it myself on wheel bearings. But the FSM has some awfully light settings. Go in between and run strong for a non-purpose-built vehicle. I think ZUK's trucks are usually purpose-built. Weight that and make your own choice.

You will need to do all the bearings and have all the necessary tools for R&P setup to do pinion bearings. It is not that hard, much easier with a mentor. ZUK's site is a close second to a good mentor. Reusing the shims, of course, will put you in a very close ballpark with good Toyota parts consistency we have come to expect.

I have read all of those ZUK articles. Great info.

Where do you guys buy your R and P tools namely the dial idicators

you can buy cheap dial indicators at Harbor Freight or enco.

You can buy good dial indicators from MSC. www.mscdirect.com

Or check ebay. Used is buyer beware since you don't know how they were treated and they are very sensitive, jeweled instruments.

Good success with my HB dial indicator. Very repeatable measurements and good accuracy. I know lots of guys use them with success. You can verify its accuracy and repeatability with feeler gauges if you have doubts.

On an inch-pound torque wrench (dial type) however, I ponied up and got the most accurate one I could find. Not been sorry. Given the design and typical use of torque wrenches, and how tricky they can be to check, and how easily they go out of whack, I don't think I would trust a cheapo unit.

Guys:

I have read and read at this point and it really seems pretty straight forward. Did you guys buy an expensive bearing puller set?

I use a cheap HB bearing separator, and a 12 ton HB press. Also bought press plates from HB. I would maybe spring for the 20 ton version if I had it to do over again.

Hey, BTW... I grew up about 6 miles east of you on US 460, Bourbon County. Whitehall Farm, 4 miles west of Paris.

[edit] DOH! HF HF HF HF, not HB, Bill, you moron...

Last edited:
Bill:

What is HB? Paris is a great city-you should see it now. They have made Paris Pike into 4 lanes from Lex to Paris. Completely moved and relocated the stone fences all along that stretch.

I think he means Harbor Freight..

It is the bearing puller and dial gauge I use....

I assume, then, it is the bearing puller that requires the slide hammer?

Yeah, I typo'd HB when I meant HF... oops...
I use a bearing separator, no slide hammer. Press the bearing off the pinion. I use a Big Friendly Rubber Hammer to pop the pinion out of the front bearing, after mounting the third on this cheezmo diff holder I made (hey, it works... be sure to catch the pinion or you will be SAD!). I drive the races out with a drift, if I am going to reuse them I use a brass rod. But mostly the drift, because sometimes you just gotta wail on it.

There are a few different configurations of pinion bearings, so make sure you get the right one or your checking distance will be way goofy. Not insurmountable, but way strange if you've never seen it before. Check your pattern before putting the seal back in, or have a pro check it. Most will, as a courtesy.

I think I was back there when the PP went four lane. We used to go to Lex via Jimtown (is it still in a bend in the road, such that drunks drive right through those poor folks' living rooms???) but it was way spookier. Everybody drove 70 on a lane-and-a-half. EEEK.

My dad passed in 88, but his ex-wife (my stepmom, don't ask, it gets complicated) still has it and is trying to sell it. Kinda toward Cynthiana. I keep wondering if there is something in Bourbon County I could earn a living at, if it didn't sell. Good memories, probably better in my mind than it really was (or would be). But like John Grisham says in The Last Juror,
It takes at least three generations to be accepted in Ford County. Regardless of money or breeding, one cannot simply move there and be trusted. A dark cloud of suspicion hanges over any newcomer, and I was no exception. The people there are exceedingly warm and gracious and polite, almost to the point of being nosy with their friendliness. They nod and speak to everyone on the downtown streets. They ask about your health, the weather, and they invite you to church. They rush to help strangers.

But they don't really trust you unless they trusted your grandfather.

Unless you drive a built Toyota that is.
OK, I added the last sentence. Don't know if it's still like that. But it was in the sixties for sure.

Last edited:
Bill:

Has not changed much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom