Pinion Bearing Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ok, according to another post i started, a diagnosis is that i have a rooted pinion bearing. is the replacement of this bearing a tough job? i have never rebuilt a diff or gearbox, and are contemplating doing this repair. do i need to set "pre loads" and shims and the like, which i have no idea about and details like that scare me.

simply asking, is it an unbolt, replace, bolt back together, or is it a touchy, balance this, preload that type job that i will end up stuffing up.

time may be on my side, as i may be able to borrow another cruiser for the time out the FJ may need, so being a DD won't be a limitation.

also what type of special tools do i need??

Yes, it is a tough job and yes, you have to set the preload if you want it to last. Yes, you need special tools. Besides that, it is the kind of job you tend to screw up the first time.

It is cheaper and easier to just replace the whole differential with a good used unit.

Check the tech links:

http://members.cox.net/cglabe1/Diff/diff.html

so i need to do all that to replace the pinion bearing, no way to do it while leaving the diff in there. i was hoping not to have to get that done.

how can it be cheaper to replace the whole thing, rather than just the pinion bearing?

just asking, not doubting

If you want it to last, there is no way to replace the pinion bearings without setting up the differential.

Up here, a good used differential costs $50-100 USD, while the bearings alone are about $100.

Sorry to say, I had a feeling it wasn't your driveshaft.

I had a similar problem on a 12 bolt chevy and replaced that myself, but I've never done a yota. Good luck.

well it appears a good friend that has some knowledge of these things may be able to help me out on this.

should i not drive it at all, is it alright to drive to get it 200 miles to where i can get parts and assistance?

or is it alright to disconnect the rear shaft and limp it on front wheel drive?

i guess i'm asking what's the worst that will happen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom