Pinging - Adjusted Timing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been getting a noise during slight acceleration off idle until 2000 rpms. I put in supreme and the noise went away. I listened closer and it still seemed to be making it although only sometimes and very quietly.

Today I adjusted the timing in hopes this is the cause. I check it and it was around 6 deg. I put the vehicle in service mode although my check engine light did not flash (1997) the rpm dropped to 4 deg. I set to 3 deg, and will listen for any changes.

I do have an obd II scanner that I can hook up to my laptop, is there anyway I can tell the knock sensor is picking anything up by monitoring the readings while I drive?

I have a 95 that does pretty much the same thing, I had a crack in the rubber throttle body to air cleaner connection, fixed the leak, but still have the pinging.

Timing was my thought also, mine was right on.

Premium gas has no effect on my vehicle's pinging, If you come up with anything, please post.

I have advanced the timing on my 96 7*. I did it about 3000 miles ago. I have been getting a little pinging right off Idle only with motor under load. At first I could not believe it was pinging but I have finally faced the fact and will investegate it in the morning. I always run 89 octane (same price) and my rig is not weighted down with armor. I am a little dissapointed that it would ping when others who weigh more, have hills, and tow can get away with more agressive timing. It is funny that this thread should be started because I pulled out the timming light and scanner tonight before I came in the house. I can say the the difference in power was one of the best and quickest mods I have ever done to anything it is free power. It was well worth the 3 min's it took. I will look in to the pinging in the morning.

Mine is also only under load.

Some more data:

I hooked up the obdII and drove around looking at the laptop screen (kinda dangerous).

At idle the timing was 4.5 degrees. It is all over the place at the other rpms, I can't make any sense of the data. Sometime at 1300 rpm it is 9 degrees other times it is 28.5 degrees. At a roughly steady 2200rpm it was between 18-36 degrees. Same goes for all other rpms as well, just really random. The highest I saw was 37.5 degress at ~2400 rpm. I wonder if the knock sensor is going off and the ecu is correcting causing the fluctuation. I am thinking modulation of the throttle as I drive is the cause.

Next time I'm going to set the cruise on flat ground and see if I can get a consistent advance over time. I don't even know if this is possible due to the ecu.

i'm sure alot of that is due to the knock sensor.

Mine does the same. Only just off acceleration then cuts out. I just figured it was crud and carbon build up. I also think it might have something to do with injectors not up to their potential.

I was thinking leaky/bad spray pattern injector(s) might be the culprit as my last two (and only two) blackstone reports indicate fuel in the oil (0.8% and 0.5%). They think it is due to excessive idling. Also unrelated the silicon was at 14ppm and they said it might be time for a new air filter, but the filter is a nearly new toyota brand (<3000 miles).

Maybe I have air coming in bypassing the filter and air flow sensor causing a lean condition, that might explaing both the silicon and pinging.

Maybe I have air coming in bypassing the filter and air flow sensor causing a lean condition, that might explaing both the silicon and pinging.

Did you find the fix for the pinging?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom