Pin Size Hile in CV Boot: HELP! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was changing out the clamps on my cv boots and i noticed the tiniest of holes. The hole is literally the size of a .5 mechanical pencil tip. Should I just repack the grease and go on my way? I really would like to know if there is an alternative to a new boot... i dont want to pull the axel. :-(
20200204_180848.jpg

Personally I’d run it and keep a eye on it. Was there much sign of it leaking ? Or did you somehow do that removing the clamp ?

Ha... that's just what I did. A buddy told me this stuff...
20200204_200524.jpg

Is called RTV. It looks like a black silcone to me. I just sanded the small hole and cleaned it with acetone then applied a think layer of the RTV. It's says let cure for 24hrs, so I'm gonna wait until tomorrow to repack the boots and seal them up. I'll reply with the results after a test drive. And after 10k of driving.
20200204_200506.jpg

It looks like someone added grease to the cv with a needle. To seal with fipg- clean bonding area with brake cleaner, then scuff a small section around the hole to make a good bond. You can also try a small Slime bicycle tube patch- flexible-durable-cheap.
1580906997150.jpeg

RTV = room tempreture vulcanizing

FIPG = form in place gasket

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom