Pilot Bearing Wear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
G'day all,
Going through the paces of rebuilding an H55F for my wagon, new parts arrived today, I test fitted the pilot bearing on the input shaft and boy howdy is it loose, it looks like the old one failed years ago and has worn away the surface of the shaft. Is there any sort of fix for this other than replacing the whole input shaft?
Or (hopefully) the bearing is supposed to sit further back closer to the splines and I'm okay. I'm not sure as I don't have a comparison pic. Not sure how visible the amount of wobble is through the pic but it's definitely what caused my input shaft bearing to turn to slop.
Cheers for the help!

IMG_20210415_170527.jpg

IMG_20210415_170546.jpg

^ that^

Use a Nachi 5202Z double row shielded roller bearing

^ that^

Use a Nachi 5202Z double row shielded roller bearing

I wonder how they compare to the OEM pilot bearing for longevity.

@Twoheadtas were you able to source a rebuild kit, or did you have to piece out all together?

I think this is OSS's pic from years ago show the diff in size between the stock and wider bearings. You may have better luck find the Nachi (OEM) in Oz. was difficult here.

D'oh - Just saw he linked that thread. Well, anyway, here's the money shot:

1618517944600.png

Were you able to source a rebuild kit, or did you have to piece out all together?
I sourced my parts individually on Megazip, just replacing a couple of items plus seals & gaskets. Rebuild kits are way too pricey here and none of it is OEM.

I sourced my parts individually on Megazip, just replacing a couple of items plus seals & gaskets. Rebuild kits are way too pricey here and none of it is OEM.
Sadly that's what I've been seeing too with what little I've looked at this point. When I do mine it'll be bearings seals and synchro rings. Probably gonna be a decent sized Partsouq order there. Wanting to do my tcase at the same time plus a couple modifications, so it's gonna be a big project considering it'll be my first time doing either of those.

Sadly that's what I've been seeing too with what little I've looked at this point. When I do mine it'll be bearings seals and synchro rings. Probably gonna be a decent sized Partsouq order there. Wanting to do my tcase at the same time plus a couple modifications, so it's gonna be a big project considering it'll be my first time doing either of those.
If you're not in a rush tear down them before ordering parts, ive had to make 3 orders for parts so far, just saves shipping costs and makes it more like Christmas when they arrive! Make sure you've got pullers for the job, I made my own here, broke them about 3 times trying to get the main shaft centre bearing out. (Yes that is a lathe chuck as a slide hammer slug, I'm very much doing this bush style)

IMG_20210413_152954.jpg

IMG_20210413_154813.jpg

If you're not in a rush tear down them before ordering parts, ive had to make 3 orders for parts so far, just saves shipping costs and makes it more like Christmas when they arrive! Make sure you've got pullers for the job, I made my own here, broke them about 3 times trying to get the main shaft centre bearing out. (Yes that is a lathe chuck as a slide hammer slug, I'm very much doing this bush style)

View attachment 2646500

View attachment 2646501
Good thing I finally got myself a 20 ton press....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom