Pilot bearing removal (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am putting in a new transmission behind my 350 sbc and while I have everything out, I thought I might as well replace my throw out bearing and my pilot bearing. How do I get the pilot bearing out? Do I have to remove the flywheel? How long do they typically last and how can you tell if they are starting to go? I'm not sure anything is wrong with it now, but figured it couldn't hurt.

FJ40Mayo
I just did a clutch job last month on my 60 and I asked the same question. I learned that there is more than one way to get this done. The flywheel must be removed to replace the pilot bearing, and I suggest to get it machined while its out.(~$40) Don't forget to mark the pressure plate to flywheel alignment. Once you have the flywheel out of the way you can remove the PB by:
1.If you have a slide hammer use it(can use Auto Zone's tool loan out service if not)
2.If you have a small enough puller you could make it work
3.If the bearing is of the sealed type you can remove it hydraulically by pumping grease behind PB and using a shaft and hammer force it out(MESSY, close your mouth/eyes)-->well detailed in Hayne's manual.
4.or do what I did--> Buy a carriage bolt (3/8" IIRC) 5-7" long and grind one side of the head down so it just barely fits thru the center of bearing. Then use your hub socket (or a big one) and put the open end toward the PB. Put your bolt thru the socket and use a nut and washer to PULL it out. After a few turns she slides right out. (be sure to buy more than one bolt--> I kept grinding off to much)

They are cheap insurance and too easy to replace while you've got everything apart. I'm not very familiar with 350's, but the basic set up should be the same. Have fun and enjoy that big 350 :D :D

Chris,

The hydraulic thing is a mess and hardly works.

Simply use any 5 inch bolt like the post before says and grind down one side so it fits into the pilot hole. Then screw a sheet metal screw in next to it to lock it in place. Slide a big socket over it and you have a puller. Will destroy the old bushing but not important. Might suggest using a true bearing rather than a bushing for the replacement. Can find one online at Summitracing or the like.

I think there is a link to the sor forum archives on here somewhere. Go there and do a search for the same subject. I posted the same subject and there were some excellent pictures showing howing to make the tool to remove the bearing. Works good.

Before you build the tool, which is easy, see if it just falls out. Like mine did!

I just did a 350 clutch and it did not have a bearing to remove. It was jsut a bushing that was fine.

Modified a dent puller attachment for a slide hammer, works great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom