pilot bearing removal... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ok been trying all morning to get this damn bearing out. weve tried the "hydrolic" method, filling the cavity up with grease and sticcking a dowel in the whole and whackin it. it work, but it took the front of the bearing off the rest is still in the crank. treid using the wall anchor, it just broke off so now its stuck behind bearing. weve tried heating it up didnt work. what other options are there? :confused:

So PLEEAASSEE HELP!!!!

LOL.. Sorry to hear that. Maybe PM perry (bh4rnnr?) and see if he has a snap on pilot bearing remover he could stop by and pop it out in a min or two..

forgot it's a teacher workday :D

carfully cut out with dremel?

call around and see if checker or someone rents one.. could always buy a cheap one from napa etc.

pilot removal

max,

trust me on this one.......

I tried for hrs using 2 different pullers w/o sucess (one was a SNAP ON)

here is how to get it out in 3 minutes using hydralic (sp) pressure:

1. get out your grease gun and hose

2. FILL cavity behind pilot bearing with grease

3. make tool from old bolt and electrical tape

4. place bolt into pilot bearing (must be sealed all the way around)

5. using hammer bang bolt one good time into old pilot

6. the grease will push out the bearing

you will get it out this way

mine came out 2nd try

THE key is having a bolt almost as big as the pilot bearing and a good seal with

the electrical tape. I wrapped more tape on the end to create a tapper.

good luck!!!!!

i thought he tried that method already/ get a dremel and cut the sucker

I have had mixed success with teh hydraulic method. I finally said th ehell with it and bought a puller. They pop right out and there's no greasy mess!

Pilot bearing.....

...DONE!!!!!

we finnaly just said screw it. and started drilling the hell out of it and took the dremel to it. and finally it came out. also got the new one installed

slide hammer with special ground attachment just for this...works great.

glad you got it.

I bought a pilot bearing puller from Harbor Freight. It's too big. If you carefully grind the business end to just fit inside the bearing, it pops it out with NO EFFORT. I'm about to mail my modified tool to Toadhopper to use in his H55 install.

Two ways have worked flawlessly for me-

What Poser said, and,

a carraige bolt ground to "hook" the bearing, and a large socket and apropriate nut.

CruisinGA said:
Two ways have worked flawlessly for me-

What Poser said, and,

a carraige bolt ground to "hook" the bearing, and a large socket and apropriate nut.

The 39 cent carriage bolt puller gets most of them out before you can even start wiping all the grease off of your face.

PilotPul.jpg

A carbide burr in a pneumatic die grinder will cut through the race fast if it resists all other methods.

So, how do the socket, nut and bolt combine to pull the bearing, exactly? A picture would be great! :D

Dave-

Sorry no pic..

Insert modified puller bolt, pass socket larger than the OD of the bearing over the threaded section, if you need a washer put one on, and then the nut. Tighten the nut against the socket, and it will pull the bearing out.

I have not used this method, as I have a different tool for this, but it should work fine.

:beer:

Poser said:
Dave-

Sorry no pic..

Insert modified puller bolt, pass socket larger than the OD of the bearing over the threaded section, if you need a washer put one on, and then the nut. Tighten the nut against the socket, and it will pull the bearing out.

I have not used this method, as I have a different tool for this, but it should work fine.

:beer:

I got it. :beer:

when all else fails, put a rim of weld around the inside diameter of the bearing being careful not to weld the bearing in. the weld will make the bearing contract allowing one of the above methods to pull it out. do not do this if there is grease in the crank end unless you want super hot grease splatter in your face;p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom