Pilot bearing INSTAL (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have read the threads on removal (going to try a puller this week) but how dificult is it to install a new one? THanks.

Mine wasn't hard if you have a bearing driver tool (pipe w/ a disc the size of the bearing on the end). I got mine at harbor freight for cheap.. just drive it in w/ a hammer.

Just tap it in with a hammer and a socket the same size as the outer race of the bearing. I made a tool modeled after one pinhead posted a pic of a while back. Basically cut/ground 3/4 of the head off a carriage bolt, stuck it in the bearing, slid a big old socket over it, a flat washer and a nut. Hit it with the impact , old bearing was out in about half a second. I had the carriage bolt, so it cost me nothing.

DenverCruiser said:
I have read the threads on removal (going to try a puller this week) but how dificult is it to install a new one? THanks.

It's accually easier to install a pilot bearing that it is to remove on. After the old bearing is removed make sure the hole is clean. Smear a little grease around in the pilot bearing hole or around the bearing itself. Then use a pipe or socket that's the same size as the outer ring of the bearing and tap it in. The bearing will bottem out against a lip.

Tim

Thanks guys. Sure I will have more quesions on the removal since I am trying to picture the tool pinhead described but I just cant imagine it. Any pictures of it or in use?

DenverCruiser said:
Thanks guys. Sure I will have more quesions on the removal since I am trying to picture the tool pinhead described but I just cant imagine it. Any pictures of it or in use?

No picture but a pretty good description of the tool and how to use it.

Pin_Head said:
Forget the grease trick. You can have that bearing out quicker than you can wipe all that grease off your face. :D

Get a 3/8 x 5 inch carriage bolt and grind off one side of the head, leaving behind a claw that just fits inside the bearing. Insert the bolt so that the claw is behind the bearing race and wedge it in with a pencil of machine screw. Put you hub socket over the threaded end, add a washer and nut and then just tighten the nut to crank it out.
Pilot removal thread

Search is your friend. ;)

Used this tactic this weekend. Worked great! The hurdle was that I don't own a Hub Socket. So I need to find something else as a spacer. 1"x1" piece of wood worked like a charm. Will take a picture of it and add it to the Pilot removal thread when I get a chance. Ghetto, yes. But worked beautifully.

Edit: this was on removing the bearing.

Instalation was easy with a socket.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom