Pilot bearing INSTAL

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by DenverCruiser, Aug 4, 2005.

1. DenverCruiser

DenverCruiser

I have read the threads on removal (going to try a puller this week) but how dificult is it to install a new one? THanks.

2. GreenFJ40

GreenFJ40

Mine wasn't hard if you have a bearing driver tool (pipe w/ a disc the size of the bearing on the end). I got mine at harbor freight for cheap.. just drive it in w/ a hammer.

3. ken_79-fj40

ken_79-fj40

Just tap it in with a hammer and a socket the same size as the outer race of the bearing. I made a tool modeled after one pinhead posted a pic of a while back. Basically cut/ground 3/4 of the head off a carriage bolt, stuck it in the bearing, slid a big old socket over it, a flat washer and a nut. Hit it with the impact , old bearing was out in about half a second. I had the carriage bolt, so it cost me nothing.

4. LCS

LCS

It's accually easier to install a pilot bearing that it is to remove on. After the old bearing is removed make sure the hole is clean. Smear a little grease around in the pilot bearing hole or around the bearing itself. Then use a pipe or socket that's the same size as the outer ring of the bearing and tap it in. The bearing will bottem out against a lip.

Tim

5. DenverCruiser

DenverCruiser

Thanks guys. Sure I will have more quesions on the removal since I am trying to picture the tool pinhead described but I just cant imagine it. Any pictures of it or in use?

6. rusty_tlc

rusty_tlc Dain Bramaged Member

Media:
    Albums:
    No picture but a pretty good description of the tool and how to use it.

Pilot removal thread

Search is your friend. ;)

7. DenverCruiser

DenverCruiser

Used this tactic this weekend. Worked great! The hurdle was that I don't own a Hub Socket. So I need to find something else as a spacer. 1"x1" piece of wood worked like a charm. Will take a picture of it and add it to the Pilot removal thread when I get a chance. Ghetto, yes. But worked beautifully.

Edit: this was on removing the bearing.

Instalation was easy with a socket.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2005
  8. pbgbottle

pbgbottle Forum Lifer

Media:
    Albums:
    i just use a tap and run it in. bottoms out in the crank keep turning out comes the bearing thats for the chev oilite bearing tho .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.