1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pilot bearing INSTAL

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by DenverCruiser, Aug 4, 2005.

1. DenverCruiser

DenverCruiser

I have read the threads on removal (going to try a puller this week) but how dificult is it to install a new one? THanks.

2. GreenFJ40

GreenFJ40

Mine wasn't hard if you have a bearing driver tool (pipe w/ a disc the size of the bearing on the end). I got mine at harbor freight for cheap.. just drive it in w/ a hammer.

3. ken_79-fj40

ken_79-fj40

Just tap it in with a hammer and a socket the same size as the outer race of the bearing. I made a tool modeled after one pinhead posted a pic of a while back. Basically cut/ground 3/4 of the head off a carriage bolt, stuck it in the bearing, slid a big old socket over it, a flat washer and a nut. Hit it with the impact , old bearing was out in about half a second. I had the carriage bolt, so it cost me nothing.

4. LCS

LCS

It's accually easier to install a pilot bearing that it is to remove on. After the old bearing is removed make sure the hole is clean. Smear a little grease around in the pilot bearing hole or around the bearing itself. Then use a pipe or socket that's the same size as the outer ring of the bearing and tap it in. The bearing will bottem out against a lip.

Tim

5. DenverCruiser

DenverCruiser

Thanks guys. Sure I will have more quesions on the removal since I am trying to picture the tool pinhead described but I just cant imagine it. Any pictures of it or in use?

6. rusty_tlc

rusty_tlc Dain Bramaged Member

Media:
    Albums:
    No picture but a pretty good description of the tool and how to use it.

Pilot removal thread

Search is your friend. ;)

7. DenverCruiser

DenverCruiser

Used this tactic this weekend. Worked great! The hurdle was that I don't own a Hub Socket. So I need to find something else as a spacer. 1"x1" piece of wood worked like a charm. Will take a picture of it and add it to the Pilot removal thread when I get a chance. Ghetto, yes. But worked beautifully.

Edit: this was on removing the bearing.

Instalation was easy with a socket.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2005
  8. pbgbottle

pbgbottle Forum Lifer

Media:
    Albums:
    i just use a tap and run it in. bottoms out in the crank keep turning out comes the bearing thats for the chev oilite bearing tho .