Pilgrim half door fitment problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is anyone having problems fitting the Pilgrim half doors (now sold by CCOT) bought under the Heritage line?

It appears that the set I'm working with have two distinct problems.

1. The door is not wide enough (from hinge to latch) to fit the tub. Stock doors fit fine, and appear to be in the center of their adjustment range.

2. Latch mounting location and angle prevent good striker engagement.

I'll try to post pictures today.

TIA,

jC

Here are two shots.

The first is of the distance between latch and striker when the door is adjusted as far back as it will go. (passengers side)
What can't be seen here is that the latch is also about .5 inches too low.

The second shot is where the bolt holes would need to be to make everything work.

Eyeballing it all with a tape, it appears that the door skin is correct, but the door body (interior side) and latch location are all wrong. These things will need to be cut apart.

Again... full doors fit fine, and are in the middle of their adjustment range.
:censor:
pilgrim1.jpg
pilgrim2.jpg

Have you put a tape measure to both the stock and half doors?

D'Oh, just read your second post. Sorry...
Ed

Space the striker out from the body.

I would be very interested in seeing how the stock doors fit in your aftermarket tub.

Last edited:
Stock doors fit just about perfect.

We considered spacing the strikers out with shims, but two things stopped that plan. First of all, we wanted the doors to be quick change. Secondly, the spacers would also need to move the striker down by a half inch beyond adjustment range.

Man that really sucz. I have been following your build thread and like your work.

As I see it, the options you have at this point are to call CCoT out on another example of their poor quality/customer service and request them to make it right, rework the doors as you mention, rework the hinges or the striker. Sounds like you don't like the striker suggestions and reworking the doors is going to be big bucks. I wouldn't expect any vendor let alone CCoT to give you new 1/2 doors or compensate you for the new paint or rework of your existing 1/2 doors.

The only real option appears to be to make work what you got. If the 1/2 doors fit the opening well, what I would do is spend my time on modifying that lower hinge plate. It will take some time but based upon what I have seen of your work and attention to detail you will do a great job I am sure. Then just keep these hinges plates on the doors and it won't be an issue/adjustment going from full door to 1/2 and back. Plus painting the hinge will be much less involved that reworking/repainting the 1/2 doors! If the 1/2 doors lines don't fit the opening/look right, then this should have been discovered and address much earlier in your project and is going to be a very costly remedy now.

Nothing, and I mean nothing, just bolts right on a +30 year old modified/custom vehicle that has been out of production for a minimum of 25 years. Period.

paul...comes up with designs...and then the companies do work for him...an example of out sorceing...you may want to PM him here on mud...so the company that he uses doesnt keep doing that...

I even remember a problem with an ehsan 1/2 door having the same issue.

Paul is a great guy and will listen to what you have to tell him...and maybe even have a solution....paul like ehsan is only as good as the craftman that do the work for them...equality control will sometimes be compromised at times by the employies just because they didnt realize there mistake being off by soo lil makes a big difference

paul= lomusass (mud name)

pilgrimrestorations@yahoo.com

Last edited:
All very good points dgangle.

We discussed cutting and adding metal to the hinges, but dumped that idea when we noticed that the passengers side would also need to come up a half inch. The other thing that the hinge modifications would do is place the doors incorrectly in the opening, which is pretty visible on the finished product.

I started making calls to see what my options are this morning. First of all, remember that these doors came from TLC, not CCOT. This means that CCOT could invite me to go pound salt, and would be in their rights to do that.

First call went to Lance at IPOR. (the time zone thing) Not only did he take time out of his day to talk about the issue, but he even offered to try to help with my plight. (amazing in this day and age) While Lance did pick up the Heritage line from TLC, he did not get the these doors. Apparently, they went to CCOT. We discussed my options and possible solutions, which are pretty much the same that I came up with.

More calls as the work day progresses......

Johnny,

Thanks for the data on Paul. I'll try him (and CCOT) to see what other options I have.

Stay tuned,

Johnny,

Thanks for the data on Paul. I'll try him (and CCOT) to see what other options I have.

Stay tuned,

technically....any reinburesment would come from CCOT...as CCOT should have checked the product to see if it fit as advertised...the seller is always responsable for what they sell...unless sold as AS-IS...but i dout you bought this as-is

paul might be able to point ya in the right direction of what to do....he's a great guy.

Remember, I didn't buy them from CCOT. I sent Paul an email, and CCOT's phone just rings to a generic answering machine..... Hmm....

I spoke with Tom at TLC. His advice was to build a shim block to move the striker out to meet with the latch. He said that they had encountered minor fitment issues with older (tweaked) tubs or chassis, but nothing to this magnitude.

jC

Poser,

Agreed on all points. Apparently, I have my terminology backwards. I always called the part in the door the latch, due to the fact that it "latches"? My idea is to space the part on the half door out so that we don't need to play with the "B" pillar part each time we change the doors.

jC

No-

I am backwards, you are correct.

Post edited to reflect.

Should not be too difficult to cut the door, space that piece out, and weld it back together.

Or, just space the striker out from the body.

Sorry about perpetuation confusion.

-Steve

Got an email reply from Paul today. I'm forwarding pictures of the unfinished doors along for him to see. There is some concern that they might actually not be his doors, but he has offered to do what he can to help.:)

Stay tuned,

Jim

I wanted to update all threads to reflect my conversations with Paul. Many on the list advised that I write him to discuss the fitment problems. I was also assured that he would to all he could to resolve any issues with his product.

I can report that this is exactly the case. We've exchanged over 30 emails with pictures, measurements, and ideas. As it stands now, Paul has promised to send me a replacement set of doors in an attempt to resolve the problems. :D

Jim

I wanted to update all threads to reflect my conversations with Paul. Many on the list advised that I write him to discuss the fitment problems. I was also assured that he would to all he could to resolve any issues with his product.

I can report that this is exactly the case. We've exchanged over 30 emails with pictures, measurements, and ideas. As it stands now, Paul has promised to send me a replacement set of doors in an attempt to resolve the problems. :D

Jim

Paul has integrity...always has...glad its working out for ya

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom