1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pile o' Questions

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Eternal, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Eternal

Eternal

OK little history 1st

70 40 pretty much stock.(at this point) DAILY DRIVER/weekend warrior and will be after conversion.(not a crazy off roader but I would like to work on it) I would like to do as much as possible all at once. I am collecting up parts for a major overhaul this summer and some parts have come my way but I don't know what to do.
    I have collected a '88 4.3 tbi,adapter kit from chev to toy 3 spd,power steering,mini truck front axle for the brakes,disc brake conversion for the rear, 4' skyjacker lift.

Have a line on a dana 60 full floater rear with disc brakes 3.73 or 4.11(has both)center pumpkin SOA and a toy front SOA with high steer and a set of 35's and a set of 37's(he is changing to 4 point and 40's)

With the 4.3 if I add a sm420 and t case will it be able to run the 35/37's with above front and rear? And 3.73 or 4.11?

Will 4" lift and SOA be to high for 35's? Will it look dumb?

For a DD is this too much should I just forget about the axles and just keep the SUA add the 4" lift and 3"shackles could I run the 35's without cutting the body.

Eternal

2. TOZOVR

TOZOVR

with that kind of tire I'd be begging for 4.88's at the least...

60's are nice for sure, but they rob a lot of clearance with just 35's

3. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    A 4" lift and SOA running 35's will look dumb...

With a S/O and 4" lifted springs, you could clear 39's...

I ran 38's with 4.11's, and a 2F, it worked, but you will want a lower gear for daily driving..

The S/U, 4" and monster shakle combo, while not sounding really good for a daily driver, should get you the clearance for the 35's, I think that it is going to be a handfull on the road with that much longer shackle in the front...

Power steering swap-must have
    Disc brakes-must have

Get these done for sure, if you are looking at running larger tires off road..

Take pics, post some!

Good luck!

-Steve

4. Eternal

Eternal

Running your 4.11 and 38 did you find it lacking in power. I am concerned that the 4.3 will not be able to climb.

5. fjcruiser

fjcruiser

If I were you, I'd go soa, run 35's and be done with it. Soa + 4" skyjacker is mucho dollars and very high. There are lots of kits for rear disk brakesi, again much cheaper than going dana 60. If its a great deal, throw it in the shop until you build a rig that would justify the cost of installing it, or turn around and make a few bucks to help fund the project.
    I'd definately go w/ 4.11's.

6. TOZOVR

TOZOVR

4.11's and 38's will have you using the right foot too much for serious crawling IMHO...

We run 5.13's in the scrambler with a built 350 and 38's and an auto...works GREAT...
    You can really run 4.11's I'm sure, but you will tend to compensate for crawl ratio with throttle and wheelspeed...that oft equals breakage

7. Eternal

Eternal

I already bought the 4"lift and all the stuff for the disc change on my stock axles, the dana is already SOA and Discs on. The costs would be offset by selling the stuff I bought and the stock axles. I just don't know if it is too overboard for a DD and the power issue with the 4.3.

8. Poser

Media:
    Albums:
    66.64:1 first gear low range-7.05X2.3X4.11

420/3spdcase/4.11diff

Worked for many years offroad, from 33s to 38's. Was not untill I built my 60's that I went to 4:88's, and now run 42's...

I do not see the off road side of this being an issue with 35's at all, or even with 37's...

-Steve

9. cruiser_guy

cruiser_guy

[quote author=Eternal link=board=1;threadid=10552;start=msg94749#msg94749 date=1074919229]

Have a line on a dana 60 full floater rear with disc brakes 3.73 or 4.11(has both)center pumpkin SOA
    [/quote]

This doesn't work with a Toyota transfer does it? You need a passenger side offset pumpkin to align the drive shafts properly!

10. TOZOVR

TOZOVR

Steve,

I guess it comes down to personal preferance, wheeling style and terrain, you know?

Running 4.11's and 33's on my XJ with about 220 hp and a 2.71 tcase and an auto didn't even feel like enough in most situation...it was peppy on the street and decent all around offroad. With 38's I'd have been very unhappy (ran 35's on the street and was unimpressed). But again, that was my preference here in New England.

Driving th escrambler on the rockpile, I LOVE the gearing accompanied with the 350.

RJ

11. Eternal

Eternal

TO Cruiser Guy. Yeah I would have to get a chev transfer case as well. I guess what I am asking is I have 2 choices:

4.3 with current 3spd t case 4.11, SUA, 4"lift, disc conv all round, power steer, 35's keeping stock axles

4.3 sm420 chev tcase 4.11/3.73 SOA, 4"lift?, discs all round power steer, 37's and dana 60 rear toy front.

Whixh option is a better all round vehicle?

12. fjcruiser

fjcruiser

[quote author=Poser link=board=1;threadid=10552;start=msg94777#msg94777 date=1074922404]
    66.64:1 first gear low range-7.05X2.3X4.11

420/3spdcase/4.11diff

Worked for many years offroad, from 33s to 38's. Was not untill I built my 60's that I went to 4:88's, and now run 42's...

I do not see the off road side of this being an issue with 35's at all, or even with 37's...

-Steve
    [/quote]

I agree, but if you need lots lower gearing, get the rockbox to adapt the 420 to the 3spd. case. Then you'd have 7.05x3.44x2.3x4.11= 229:1 ?
    The rock box is priced at ~ 1000 right now. :eek:

13. Poser

Media:
    Albums:
    Just saying what has worked for me over the past 15+ years out west in the rocks, in the slickrock, and around here in MN.

"Running 4.11's and 33's on my XJ with about 220 hp and a 2.71 tcase and an auto didn't even feel like enough in most situation."

This is apples and oranges...juice box, no real low first gear, etc, etc...

Why not run the 4.3 and the 420, (dump the three speed trans),with the toy case, and 35's?

Seems like a good combo to me... what do I know...

Good luck!

-Steve

14. Eternal

Eternal

Thanks for you opinion Steve it is MUCH appreciated. You know it is hard being a guy who knows a little bit about alot of stuff and just got a new full set of tools for christmas(dangerous)

15. TOZOVR

TOZOVR

[quote author=Poser link=board=1;threadid=10552;start=msg94793#msg94793 date=1074924088]
    Just saying what has worked for me over the past 15+ years out west in the rocks, in the slickrock, and around here in MN.

"Running 4.11's and 33's on my XJ with about 220 hp and a 2.71 tcase and an auto didn't even feel like enough in most situation."

This is apples and oranges...juice box, no real low first gear, etc, etc...

Why not run the 4.3 and the 420, (dump the three speed trans),with the toy case, and 35's?

Seems like a good combo to me... what do I know...

Good luck!

-Steve
    [/quote]

Very true, My statement was more about it being personal preferance....my statement about the XJ was merely an example that even with smaller tires, similar hp to the 4.3 and the same diff gearing I was unhappy (even with a slushbox to bail me out at superlow speeds).

Not saying you're wrong Steve, just throwing my .02 out...I'd take your advice as well, you have much more direct FJ experience :D

RJ

16. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

I like the idea of a 4.3 in a cruiser. It has more hp and way less weight than the 2F. it is a bit down on torque, however, but that could be compensated with gears. You could also get more gear choices with the 4.3L I would think about a well-built 700R4. Low first with an overdrive. Shorter than a TH400 and uses less hp. You have to have it built right or use a later model after they sorted out the bugs, just like just about anything. Match the 700R4 to a NP 203 GRB. Easy enough to do. Use a doubler plate to match the GRB to either a 205 with the D60 or the Toyota x-fer with the stock axles. Then gear the axles to the tire heigth.
    I think if you go with a long set up like this you'll want the auto to avoid shifter location issues. A top-loader like a SM-420, Sm-465 or Toyota box will put the shifter in the firewall.
    I would not go 4" lift and SOA. One or the other. I've gone back and forth so many times, it's silly. I like the SUA for simplicity. I like the SOA for ride quality and flex.

All of the above is just the opinion of a web wheeler. there are a lot of guys with a whole lot more real world experience out there than me, so take my advice with that grain of salt.

17. Eternal

Eternal

That sounds good Gumby. I will start looking for s 700r4. I never actually thought auto. I think simplicity takes precident right now. Thanks for the info.

18. hammerhead

hammerhead

I'm with Gumby - I just got a 4.3 TBI w/700R4 tranny, an NP203 RB, and an NP205 t-case. For the centered diff I think I'll do a toymini FJ hybrid with full float from Front Range.