Pigsley, my 1993 FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
secretcompassonline.com
After years of wheeling 4runners, and getting more and more hardcore with rock crawling, it was time for a change. After couple of minor flops and my lady ceasing to go wheeling with me (for fear of death) I started looking at a new direction. We were both getting tired of the 85 4runner. Its rhino lined inside, ridiculously noisy at highway speeds, no AC which has started to get annoying, and 2 doors were a pain for our backpacking adventures.

My goals were a truck that could handle the freeway, be quiet and comfortable inside, and still be locked front and rear to handle 95% of what my crawler can do. My initial thoughts were for a 4th gen 4runner. The v6 is a great motor, the front diff holds up to ARBs, and Marlin is making a burly long travel kit for them. Then a triple locked FZJ80 showed up on my radar. Realizing the 4th gen would easily cost double to get where the 80 already is, and missing the FJ60 I had 12 years ago, I pulled the trigger two weeks ago.

300k miles, no leaks, runs like a top, 315 ST Maxx's stuffed onto stock suspension, and the PO had installed OME L shocks. Here's Pigsley:

Initial thoughts that sold me were how smooth it drives on and off highway, how tight the steering is, and how quiet it is inside. (Normal volume conversations are nice.) Another bonus: even though it has stock gearing, it is noticeably quicker than my 4runner which is pushing 35's on 5.29 gears with a built 22re.

First step was to get plates, and it failed emissions with miserably high NOx. EGR tested fine, so I replaced both O2 sensors and both cats. I used Toyota OEM O2 sensors and Magnaflow weld-in replacements. Another run through emissions and she passed easily.

So, with the goal of a moderately-built adventure truck with a decent interior, I will document the upgrades, adventures, problems, and fixes here. I'm not planning on a restoration - the interior is already nice enough and rust is superficial - but I will be keeping everything in good working order.

Next up, Pigsley needs armor and a lift!

The upgrading begins.

I placed orders for White Knuckle sliders and Hudd Expo’s crossmember / skid plate, so next up is the lift.

The PO had recently installed OME L shocks, so I figured go with the OME springs as well. Like most people I stressed way to much over which springs to buy. Figuring that within the year I would have a shortbus with a winch, a tire carrier (also probably Slee), 150+ pounds of slider, and skids on the way I was leaning towards heavies. Also, our adventures typically involve 4 people with full backpacking gear and extra fuel and water, so we need some carrying capacity.

I went ahead and ordered 850J / 863 springs, Slee swaybar drop brackets, caster plates, and Delta’s rear panhard bracket. (The Delta bracket is a very nice bit of kit. Perfect fit.)

I finished it up this morning, minus the caster plates. (I wanted to get a feel for the steering without them in and see if they are really necessary.)

Happily, no stink bug. Here’s Pigsley with a full size spare in the back (Probably 85 pounds or so, ST Maxx is heavy.)

I didn’t measure before hand but I think I got a good 4 inches front and back. I’m very happy with this considering it’s unloaded and has no armor. I foresee spacers in my future once the bumpers are mounted. Also, I went with Slee's instructions and put the "A" springs on the PS, and have no lean.

The ride is a distinct improvement. The OME shocks are tuned for their springs and it shows. With OME’s higher spring rate, there is effectively less rebound compared to stock springs, and this really smoothed things out. Potholes are no longer jarring. There is less brake dive, and body roll feels roughly the same. That was a surprise considering how much taller it is right now. No vibes front or rear that I can feel, and I have had it up to highway speed.

Note, I decided against a front adjustable panhard bar. At this level lift I think the axle shift is barely noticeable, and I do not want the DS tire rubbing when we get Pigsley twisted up.

As for the steering, it is still considerably better than my 4runner, but it does wander a bit. If you’re coming from “rougher” 4wds, I wouldn’t say the plates are necessary, but I had a taste of stock steering and I want it back. So, next up is caster plates.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom