Events/Trails ðŸ’¥Pig Party 2022💥 (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was hoping we could go to another park in NM to make the shirt relevant, but I guess they are all closed. If we find another venue it probably have to be dispersed camping because it looks like a lot of camp sites are getting taken this late in the game.

Headed home from Phoenix today and will work on it after we are back. We’ll figure something out using the dates everyone committed to. Opportunities in Southern Colorado. Luckily the shirt was next and not yet finalized

Headed home from Phoenix today and will work on it after we are back. We’ll figure something out using the dates everyone committed to. Opportunities in Southern Colorado. Luckily the shirt was next and not yet finalized
Shirt was finalized- but I can add to it with some sort of change.

updated ppshirt example.png

Last edited:
Seems we have a problem. Newly discovered. Not just fire restrictions. The entire Carson National Forest in NM is closed to public access until July 18. Obviously that includes our PP2022 dates.
Ideas?

Crap. I have the hall pass from the wife and am going somewhere. Hopefully not too far.

I have a grad school buddy whose family ranches a few thousand acres on the Colorado side, near Antonito. I'm gonna ask him if his folks have any ideas where we could relocate to.

Lots of campgrounds in the Rio Grande National Forest on the Colorado side. Just haven’t been able to look yet. It’d be great if he has some ideas. Doomer has also suggested a return to Rico.

The best that I can find so far is La Jara Reservoir. It would be big enough to hold everyone. I haven't been there yet, but I'm heading that way this weekend and can check it out. There are campsites in the Rio Grande National forest, but the no fee ones are very small, 5 camping sites and one pit toilet. The two in that area are Alamosa and Stunner Campground. Platoro Reservoir is nearby Stunner, but it gets crowded and from what I'm seeing on the map there's not a lot of remote camping sites. Further north is Cross Creek campground, 12 sites , no reservations, $24/night. We could start at La Jara for a day or 2 and then make our way north to Cross Creek? Lot's to see heading in that direction.

I would expect Colorado will do the same closings as NM. They did it last year where I am, west of Golden and Boulder.

Seems we have a problem. Newly discovered. Not just fire restrictions. The entire Carson National Forest in NM is closed to public access until July 18. Obviously that includes our PP2022 dates.
Ideas?

Can you find out what the status is for the Colorado side of the same area? We’re gonna want to go up in elevation…

I’ve put all the info for dates and location on post #1. I’ll edit as needed now that the location is changing.

Last edited:
Well, had to pull the plug on PP 2022. Sucks bc the pig is 95% ready to go - drove her last night for over 30 minutes and she did great. Just mopping up a few loose ends now. I have a spreadsheet of estimates on gas, food, and hotel expenses to take the family to NM for the PP and to visit family and have been watching the cost continually rise. The cost is now well over half of what I paid for the pig - for just a bit over a 1 week adventure. Can’t justify that.

I’m bummed bc I was really looking forward to hanging out and wheeling with my fellow pig buddies. Sorry guys.
Put the plug back in Mike. Make it happen. You’ve put too much work into your rig to just throw your hands in the air and give up.
Have a yard sale.
Mow some lawns.
Get a second job for the next month.
Make it happen. 🤨

Southern Utah has some interesting trails although I was looking forward to something farther away from home. Plus I just did this in March with a bunch of 100 series guys.
1) Toquerville Falls
2) Sand Hollow
3) Valley of Fire
4) Whitmore Canyon
The above would require a couple of different camp spots. Whitmore Canyon is 80 miles and takes you to a camp overlooking a remote part of the Grand Canyon.

Might be a little hot in July for a southern Utah?

Not to mention southern Utah is as hot as AZ in July. Unless it was at Navajo Lake/Duck Creek.(?)🤔🤔🤔
Agree. Higher altitude and/or cooler would be better.

The best that I can find so far is La Jara Reservoir. It would be big enough to hold everyone. I haven't been there yet, but I'm heading that way this weekend and can check it out. There are campsites in the Rio Grande National forest, but the no fee ones are very small, 5 camping sites and one pit toilet. The two in that area are Alamosa and Stunner Campground. Platoro Reservoir is nearby Stunner, but it gets crowded and from what I'm seeing on the map there's not a lot of remote camping sites. Further north is Cross Creek campground, 12 sites , no reservations, $24/night. We could start at La Jara for a day or 2 and then make our way north to Cross Creek? Lot's to see heading in that direction.
Thanks, Mark. I’ve been looking in that same area. Anxious to see what you find out this weekend. Also keeping Rico in mind as a fairly close backup though my personal preference is to not repeat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom