Events/Trails Pig Party 2021💥🎉💥 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

With all the frenzy that all the loyal pig servants are tasked in doing to hit the road, I was feeling inadequate and a bit irresponsible for not following through with taking something apart the last minute and fixing, upgrading, replacing, modifying or just doing something last minute that may or may not need redoing but would get me in the frenzy moment.

So similar to replacing tires that may or may not need replacing, I decided to replace my group 3 auxiliary battery since it is the life blood of the refrigeration of my Gin.

To make it more challenging I ordered a Battleborn LiFePO4 battery in hope it will arrive in time to replace the Interstate AGM deep cycle that may or may not need replacing. I just know that I have run the AGM down low a few time and am aware it’s not that great for this type of batteries life span. If the Batteborn doesn’t arrive in time I will just through another AGM at it.

Pig speed to all

And take your pig grill, tape it to the front of your g#@%*d#m Tesla and show the F up (bring solar panels)

0FB7C0FA-502B-462B-BE4D-F7591EF7FEF3.jpeg

B969A311-6781-46DB-9AE0-6F55AF09D790.jpeg

Gordobe,

Is that the new model that has its own heater element so the cold doesn't affect it? I was thinking about putting one in my engine bay to replace my house battery.

Scraps, now that you mention the heated battery I think I will give Battleborn a call in the morning to verify my needs. In recent years I have only been in freezing weather a couple of times so I really didn’t think I needed the heater version. But I think I will double check with them in the morning. The specs. say the regular one is good to -20. But when you want to charge it at freezing it’s a different story. (See disclaimer below)

When you say house battery, if you mean the starter battery, I read somewhere that lithium does not make for a good starter battery. But I also read a lot of cartoons when I was a young adult. So be warned.

Disclaimer:
Be aware I am by no means well versed on anything having to do with electrical engineering except that I have been hooked up to 220v before and it’s quite a ride (So I am well versed in that).

House battery is for the frig., air compressor, things like that. I have a second battery for starting duties. If either one goes dead I can flip a switch and get a jump from the other one. They are independent of each other as far as discharging and charging goes. I'm learning as we go also.

Yes, that’s how mine is set up. I used the National Luna solenoid plus controller. Monitor for each battery also ability use both at the same time if more power is needed for winching As well as backup for each battery.

I don’t plan on much cold weather camping but on 2 occasions I found my roof water frozen so heated battery might be safer for the protection of the battery.

will decide tomorrow am

If you're jumping in might as well get the heated one unless there's a downside other than a little more money.

I know this is not a build thread but since it has to do with PP prep it seems appropriate or not??? Blame it on scraps question...

disclaimer: I know what 220v feels like but everything electrical I know is what some one talked me into.. No body talked me into eating 220v, I learned how to do that all by myself.:eek:

Apparently a lithium battery cannot talk directly to an AGM (acid battery). The only way they can interact is by having a DC to DC separator charger.. the alternator charges the car battery, the DC to DC charger uses the car battery to charge the lithium house (like the new terminology) battery. One reason is a 100 ah lithium cannot be charged with more then 50 ah source (my alternator is 155 amp with no regulator). So no using a lithium battery to jump start a dead starter battery or going parallel for more punch to winch with.

Heated Battery:
Lithium batteries DO NOT enjoy to be charged below 20F, they operate fine down to -4F but not for charging. It was recommended that a heated battery is for cold climate conditions. If on rare occasions it get to 20 one needs to warm the battery up a bit. I know from experience that 220v will do that...

At the BattleBorns technicians suggestion I would be fine with a non heated version. If at a later date I do more cold climate travel (no thank you) they have a heating pad that one puts under the battery.

I am told that I will have the lithium battery and the DC to DC charger by Thursday. Whether I want to gamble and experiment on a new type of “house” battery for a long trip remains to be seen.

Boy that was a lot of chatter, hope it helps someone. Gave me a fn headache

Reading all these posts about getting ready gets me fired up, But looks like no motor for me, and no pig party. My wife even cried when I told her. I will be there in spirit, last year was amazing-i will continually run that thru my brain as you are away. I wont miss eating dust, but would gladly take it to be there.
Gordobe- will miss the shrimp. if you are willing i could send walnuts to you to share, my freezer needs a break
Happy Trails !
Darn Don, wish you were going to make it this year!

We'll leave for SD on Wednesday of next week. Taking the scenic route via Steamboat Springs, camping somewhere between the Boat and Laramie and then on to Custer on Thursday. We can sleep in Friday before meeting everyone at noontime for the great adventure. Custer State Park looks like it's booked up so we'll try one of the commercial campgrounds unless someone local has a better idea.

Why doesn’t Jerry come and you stay?
Because I won two out of three arm wrestling, it was close. We've got one more shot with a neighbor down the road who has helped before, so maybe with some luck and the American way (cash) she'll accept.

P.S. I'm not telling her about any chocolate. :)

We'll leave for SD on Wednesday of next week. Taking the scenic route via Steamboat Springs, camping somewhere between the Boat and Laramie and then on to Custer on Thursday. We can sleep in Friday before meeting everyone at noontime for the great adventure. Custer State Park looks like it's booked up so we'll try one of the commercial campgrounds unless someone local has a better idea.
Let me know if you need anything when going by the Fort.
Leaving Friday AM (early).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom