For Sale pig in a poke (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A well known lesson is been re-enforced.

I had been looking at a FJ55 on ebay and other sites that is being offered by a consignment house in Orlando.

It looks 99% good. Small minor things NBD....
The area of greatest concern is always rust and the repairs that have occurred or needs to.
A little pricey but perhaps that could be negotiated.....

But have learned to look in the "poke" no matter what......
So I spent the cash to have it inspected since it was half way across the country and if I jetted in perhaps I wouldn't be able to get past the "ooh shiny" part of the inspection.

Well it was money well spent, the empty column of non operational equipment was filled with enough items that it would not pass any states safety inspection.

Pictures through no fault of their own,,,,, lie. Bubble rust on multiple door, rain gutters, rear hatch frame,,,,,all the usual stuff that just didn't seem to show up in barrel full of pictures that were posted.....how bout dat!
Lots a little stuff wrong, level of skill in repair doubtful, completeness sketchy at best. Bottom line was it being presented a a premium pig but it was at best a fair pig. Good but.....lots of work right from the get go.

So as everyone should have learned, if you can't go yourself, hire a pro to sniff the pig.

The search continues....

A link to da Pig would be interesting and could be helpful to others.

Damn! I just saw that ad last night & thought to myself it looked to good to be true...

Another truism fulfils itself.
It IS too good to be true.
That being said, I would still take it.....just not at the reserve they have set which is the full price listed on the website.....$25,995.00.........
Again, premium pork price
Not rust bubble sketchy repairs price

The market determines the fair value of something at auction

The consignment house and I guess the owner disagree with the market assessment.

That's why I hired the pro to sniff the pig. A fair value is determined when both parties are fully informed.
I paid to be more fully informed about the true status of the pig and set my own value which is much less than theirs.......

Seems to me that the market on any given week for an iron pig would fluctuate a great deal, depending upon who is looking at that time, but then I don't know about these things. Perhaps people are constantly watching these auctions waiting to pounce, even if they're already a proud owner of one. Also, the owner could be clueless-or unscrupulous. That's certainly been known to happen on Craigslist. :)

Bidders for ebay vehicles fully informed-probably more as the price goes higher. A wise move on your part to investigate, and good luck!

I used a service and paid for a classic car inspection. Worth every penny.

Just FYI.....it appears to have sold.
No idea for how much.....
That question may rise to the point that I call and ask....
Or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom