Pictures or info about your water solutions for travel in the 200? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I sold out and got the dometic system. Two 1/2 size jerries and the pump. All clicks together no leaks, has pressure relief and the 1/2 jerries are easy to find a place for and easy to carry. Easy to fill and clean too.
Spouse acceptance factor is off the charts.

Expensive beggars though.

Closing the loop, I added a jerry can swingout to my dissent bumper order, and picked up several Sceptre cans.
Throwing in a wrench here:
Get the accessory panel (they call it the Overland panel now). It can hold 2-3 Jerry cans, and then you can mount the Joocla in the inside of the panel.

Dissent offroad 200 series offerings. - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/dissent-offroad-200-series-offerings.1109875/post-14203727

Edit: I found the setup I was thinking about:

Best/convenient tailgate/trunk overlanding mods - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/best-convenient-tailgate-trunk-overlanding-mods.1288847/post-14521672

3rd Jerry would sit on the inside, and the pump/heater above it.

Last edited:
I sold out and got the dometic system. Two 1/2 size jerries and the pump. All clicks together no leaks, has pressure relief and the 1/2 jerries are easy to find a place for and easy to carry. Easy to fill and clean too.
Spouse acceptance factor is off the charts.

Expensive beggars though.

I have the Dometic jugs as well. I've had many types of waters cans in the past and they are the best by far. Previously have used the ubiquitous blue reliance aquatainers, front runner water cans, scepter MWC, and now the Dometics. The dometics are worth the premium for a few reasons. They're small, compact and the right size for carrying. Water is heavy and lifting 20L of it is a PITA. The straps are durable and make it easy to move around. There are multiple ways to open, drain, and fill the can. The large opening allows for easy emptying, filling and cleaning. I no longer have to worry about trapped stale water in my water can for months. I also don't have to use a accessory wrench to adequately tighten the cap. The spout(s) make it easy to pour into water bottles. If you've used the Scepter MWC you know the struggle of actually pouring water into a bottle without spilling everywhere. It glugs, it drips and the tethered cap ALWAYS gets in the way of whatever you're pouring into. This last trip I didn't charge up the dometic electronic pump thing so I didn't bring it along. I used the included spigot and it was so easy to use. Open the air valve and twist open the spigot and it was as simple as that. The tube nozzle thing that is used on the Scepter rarely works correctly with enough flow. Then when the water level runs low and you have to tip the the can it's always some sort of dance to use the nozzle tube and tip it at the same time because of the tube length. IMO the Scepter MWC not easy to use and that is what I enjoy best about the Dometic, it's a pleasure to use. The pump IMO is a luxury if you have the space and desire to use it but I actually enjoyed just using the dometic spigot on its own.

I've seen a lot of fancy water contraptions and may have tried to replicate some on my own. 12V pumps, hoses, garden spray nozzles, filters etc etc. After everything I've learned I just keep it simple now. I fill em up at the grocery store, bring two Dometic jugs with me and go. Combined with water bottles, drinks I bring in the fridge I have plenty of water for 3-4 days. They are pricey but you can usually get them for 20% throughout the year. I think they're well worth it.

Another fan of the blue water cubes or the plastic jerries, stored inside the vehicle wherever there is space. For me that tends to be behind my seat. Easy to bring into a grocery store to fill using the filtered water machine while on the road, and also easy(ish) to clean with hot water and some bleach or dish detergent. I do tend to be a basecamp type of person, so the ability to take the jugs out of the car and leave at camp is nice. I've also used the more heavy-duty store bought 1 gallon jugs of water a few times in a pinch, although you do need to be more cognizant of puncture points and bottle damage. Water is pretty plentiful and affordable in the US, so I don't personally feel the need to carry more than 10-15 gallons.

Now that’s a nice little product. I might just add one of those to my never ending list.
Pretty slick how it pops on and off and the adjustability would allow for use with just about any setup. I have ADGU drawers with a sleeper platform so it makes a lot of sense.

What I use for the 5 Gallon Scepter, sold on ebay by JAGMTE | eBay Stores - https://www.ebay.com/str/jagmte.
Easy to stow, reliable, and simple.

Screenshot_20230817_032257_Brave.jpg

Hey charlie. We carry 3 jerry cans. Two 5 gallon jerry cans, and a smaller 2.5 gallon jerry can. One jerry can is our dedicated shower. I DIY'ed a sandycats shower system. So far it has been working quite well for multi-day overland journeys. The other jerry cans are used for cooking / cleaning / drinking water. We also keep a few gallon jugs of purified water in our drawer system for backup.

What no one seems to address is how to refill their water sources. What we've learned is the easiest way is with an RV water filter and a collapsible hose. We use the app iOverlander to find spigots and refill our jerry cans with the hose & filter. We don't even need to remove them from our basket. I hope helps. I can also provide pictures of our setup if you'd like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom