Pictures or dimensions on LRA gas tank??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Huge favor request gents:

Does anyone happen to have pictures or dimensions of the LRA gas tank or any other aftermarket gas tank?

I ask because I have lined up a custom gas tank shop that's going to build me one for an in-tank fuel pump assembly and the extra capacity. But they need a sketch and dimensions to fit it to my truck.

Also does anyone have ideas on the best way to mount such a tank?

Thanks in advance!:beer:

If yah going custom... Then fab one up out of cardboard or wood.. With your set up.. I would try to attach it to the original bolts..
Prob best n easiest way to go.

If yah going custom... Then fab one up out of cardboard or wood.. With your set up.. I would try to attach it to the original bolts..
Prob best n easiest way to go.

I was planning to use carboard, but not sure how it's all going to mount....

I used foam-core (from an art store) and hot glue to mock up that last tank that I was thinking to build.

Ok. Just got my Man-a-Fre 38 gal FJ62 tank.

web.jpg

Dimensions are as follows. Looking at the picture above, the top of tank is laying on the carpet. The left part of the image is the front, the right is the rear of the tank. Thus, you're looking at the right (passenger) side of the tank.

Heights: front part of the tank is 2 3/8" high. The next rise is an additional 6 1/8". The rear part of the tank is 9 1/2" high. Note there is a protrusion on the top of this picture (bottom of the tank). It is 1 1/4" high at the front of the tank, 2" at the rear of the tank.

Lengths: The front of the tank slopes up for 6". Then the top of the image (bottom of tank) is 28 3/4" long. The bottom of the pic (top of the tank) is 33 1/2" long. The protrusion on the bottom of tank is 8.5" long.

Widths. The tank is 29 3/4" wide. The protrusion on the bottom of the tank is 5" wide.

Positions of fittings: All fittings are measured to the center of the fitting. The fitting on the left of this image (front right of the tank) is 6" from the front of the tank. The right most fitting in the image (right rear of the tank) is 1" from the end. The larger fitting is 4 1/2" from the end. The next frontward fitting is 8.5" from the end.

There are also 2 fittings on the left side of the tank (opposite end from pic). The frontward fitting is 2" from front. The rearward one is 1 1/4" from the rear.

There are 2 fittings on the front (left side of the pic) of the tank. They are 1/2 and 1 3/4" from the right side of the tank. (FYI these come with plugs and are there for aux feed and return fittings for trap, diesel, or V-8 injection conversions if needed)

There is 1 fitting on the protrusion. It is 3/4" from the rear of the tank (on the right side).

There are 4 brackets. Each is an L bracket welded to the tank. They are 4 3/4" wide by 2" deep. The brackets are each attached starting at 2 1/2" from each corner of the tank.

2 brackets were also supplied with the tank. They go on the rear of the tank according to the instructions.

Additional pics:
Front passenger side of tank showing 2 extra fittings and bracket.
web.jpg

Closeup of right rear fittings:
web.jpg

Closeup of "protrusion" on bottom of tank:
web.jpg

Closeup of supplied brackets for rear of tank:
web.jpg

Hope this helps someone.

When you got this Man-a-fre tank, is it a complete kit? Did you need anything else to install it?
I researched the Goannawhere ( http://www.4wdsystems.com.au/index.php?id=1) tank at $820 AUD, and it's complete, the problem is the $600 shipping from Australia. But they guarantee its' a complete kit for installation.

It's a complete kit. Comes with a bag of hardware (in the box on the right) and the tubing (on top of the tank in the pics). (Well, you need pipe fitting tape). Cost around $1k (check MAF's website) and shipping of $140 from them to me (Nor Cal).

NOT CHEAP!

R

I know it's an old post but thats the same tank they sent me for my 60. Does the top match the 62 tank in the photo on their web site?

Nice drawings but my FJ62 tank doesn't have the train on the bottom. (it matches the pics in the Man-a-Fre page for the FJ62, not the FJ60).

Just a word of caution , Biomax - I had a pin-hole leak from the factory on my tank, and I know of one other that had the same... MAF replaced the tanks, but it was a GIANT PITA -- dropping them and draining the 38 gal of gas. Hole was high, so didn't show up until tank was full. It was a hole in the welding around one of the threaded fuel bungs.

You should do a backyard pressure test, or have it tested to possibly save your self a ton of headache. Mine was a FJ60 tank, but it looks identical to yours.

Also, the forward mounting brackets did not line up with the threaded body holes - I had to dremel out the mounting brackets quite a bit, then used body washers with the bolts. This was a couple years ago. Hopefully, the tanks are better fit and quality now.

Good luck.
IMG_1147.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm having Mudrak take care of this for me (some things are just easier to farm out especially as it requires welding, which I don't have access to). I emailed him and asked him to check.

The 62 tank is different because you have an in tank pump. Your fuel trap will need to be designed differently. The outer dimensions should be close. The fuel injected vehicles should have a more elaborate
internal baffle and fuel trap design. Fuel injection can starve in a split second while a carb has window of time while the float bowl empties.
Oh and I'm thankful for a drain. Nothing worse than dropping a nearly full gas 39 gallon gas tank.

The 62 tank is different because you have an in tank pump. Your fuel trap will need to be designed differently. The outer dimensions should be close. The fuel injected vehicles should have a more elaborate
internal baffle and fuel trap design. Fuel injection can starve in a split second while a carb has window of time while the float bowl empties.
Oh and I'm thankful for a drain. Nothing worse than dropping a nearly full gas 39 gallon gas tank.

Icwizard,

I took your drawings and am currently shopping around for somebody to fab up your design. Hope you don't mind. Also might consider having him build a few so it'll lower the overall cost. Only thing I want to add will be a baffle so that I won't have fuel starve. I'm running an external pump in my system.

Don't mind at all. I talked to Al from man-a-fre today. He still builds the 60 talk but will no longer build the 62 version with the drop in pump. His tank builder wants five at a time to get a price that he can sell at. Al said five lasts a year and a half in this market so the market is open on that tank.
LRA ( Long Range Australia ) doesn't build a 62 version either which leaves 62 owners with buying used factory tanks from what I can find

Don't mind at all. I talked to Al from man-a-fre today. He still builds the 60 talk but will no longer build the 62 version with the drop in pump. His tank builder wants five at a time to get a price that he can sell at. Al said five lasts a year and a half in this market so the market is open on that tank.
LRA ( Long Range Australia ) doesn't build a 62 version either which leaves 62 owners with buying used factory tanks from what I can find

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom